• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Making a cliff from nothing/Changing Cliff Texture in game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Greetings.
Is it possible to raise a cliff during gameplay with triggers or JASS?
Or is it possible to change cliff textures during gameplay?
I obviously find it extremly useful in map I'm making, yet I have no idea if it's even possible.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is it possible to raise a cliff during gameplay with triggers or JASS?
No it is not possible to modify cliff levels during runtime. It is possible to alter terrain node height however that is generally not recommended due to performance/determinism problems.

Or is it possible to change cliff textures during gameplay?
It is not possible to change cliff textures during runtime. They can be changed before then (in the editor) by overwriting a cliff texture with a custom one using the import manager.

I obviously find it extremly useful in map I'm making, yet I have no idea if it's even possible.
Since it is impossible it cannot be useful in the making of a map. If it were possible it would be a useful feature to help make maps with.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

The only way to achieve this is to use a custom model.
As others said before, you cannot modify cliffs except in the World Editor.

Everything you would like to achieve is possible using custom models.
You would need to extract the cliff models using the Model Editor or the Model Viewer
and edit them using for example this method.

Level 3
It is theoretically possible by using destructables with the cliff models located in Doodads\Terrain\Cliffs and Doodads\Terrain\CliffTrans and using replaceable textures. It doesn't require you to import anything, but it would be a lot of work to write a system for this and it would only work on flat terrain. If you are interested in this method then I can elaborate on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.