• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Magic The Gathering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Indeed. I play competitive legacy (ANT and Fish) and competitive Standard (Jund and WW) at the moment.

I also play some weirder legacy stuff (such as Wg tempo) on MWSplay.

Do you guys play competitive or casual?

Casual, I don't go crazy with it!

Would something like that little prog^^^^ be of any use? In your opinion, or is pencil and paper still the staple?

Level 13
I really love magic. It's the best card game which was every created. Which can be seen that it today must be more than 15 years old.

All newer cardgames be it yu-gi-oh or dual master are pure rippoffs and nothing against magic.

I started with the legion edition. (the story with akroma, phage and so on)
I also read the book :D

Sadly I had to notice that the game became pure capitalism as the new editions began to be so imbalanced that you could only face them with themself. So if you want to compete with the newer cards you had to get the new editions.

I still have my 2 decks which are actually not bad.

Most of my friends also have cards :D
(one of them was collectingi for a long time. He latly sold his cards for !!!1600 euro!!!)

There was a computer game once as far as I remember not even a bad one.
But I only played it once and then gave the cd back to my friend :D

Level 2
All newer cardgames be it yu-gi-oh or dual master are pure rippoffs and nothing against magic.

Well, I guess they are, but Wizards of the Coast make them as well. They are just taking something that works and extending their market to Eastern culture. Never the less, Magic shits over them all.

Also, yu-gi-oh doesn't really have a whole lot of depth to it, you don't really need to spend time on your deck, you just throw some mega cards in there and you've won. Magic has a lot more strategy involved with using cards together. IMO.

Level 40
That could easily be implemented in any virtual setting!
Screen real estate on an ipod is limited.

Sadly I had to notice that the game became pure capitalism as the new editions began to be so imbalanced that you could only face them with themself. So if you want to compete with the newer cards you had to get the new editions.
No it hasn't. Urza block and Alpha/Beta are still the strongest sets by far.

It's just balanced aggro, which makes it easier for newer players to make half-decent decks with newer cards. Legacy and Vintage tournaments still contain mostly old cards, since instants and sorceries have become weaker of late (on average).

Level 16
I used to play. I started back in Nemesis (2000) and played in every set until Mirrodin (2004, I think?). With all due modesty, I have an album crammed full of rare and foil cards from my competitive playing days.

To the point, the most appealing factor of MTG is in its versatility, imho if you've played MTG, you've played all the other trading card games. I had a really good time making up crazy decks, the fun not being in making the winning deck, but the most hilarious combos that makes your opponent wanting to tear his hair out. MTG competitions are also a hell of fun, and the limited-style competitions (my favourite) are five times more adrenaline charged than your average computer pub games. During my craziest time I used to join compos just for the sake of raking up ranking points to get various foil cards.

Anyway, I'm already out of touch with the game these days. So if you guys are going to start a discussion about the latest set I would be horribly lost :)

EDIT: Of course type 1 cards are more powerful, how can the newer sets compare :/

I really love magic. It's the best card game which was every created. Which can be seen that it today must be more than 15 years old.

I started with the legion edition. (the story with akroma, phage and so on)
I also read the book :D

I still have my 2 decks which are actually not bad.

Most of my friends also have cards :D
(one of them was collectingi for a long time. He latly sold his cards for !!!1600 euro!!!)

There was a computer game once as far as I remember not even a bad one.
But I only played it once and then gave the cd back to my friend :D

Pure capitalism is because they are releasing so many new cards so fast (it may not seem, 3 sets per year, but the time goes fast) and formats which always enforces you to have the newest cards (T2).

That game ur talking about is probably this http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=9301c1e74aa4bf1a74551f1fb0d4233e

Level 40
No, they release one block and one core set per year because that's what people want, not because of "pure capitalism". T2 forces you to have the newest cards not because it makes them more money, but because it is much more attractive to new players who feel overwhelmed by the size of the game and want a simpler, easier to get into, and healthier format.

I'm not saying that money is not a factor in their equations, but the things you mention are hardly money grabs.

Level 40
Heh, the original Duels of the Planeswalkers (@Mechanical Man's link) was a blast, but it got a bit stale after I built a combo deck that won on turn 1 every game, a zoo deck that smashed face against everyone but the final boss (due to his absurd life), and a white control deck that would essentially never die.

Unrestricted Beta+AN+Antiquities+Legends is fun but broken.

Level 40
Try out this list if you want hilarity and instant wins:

Land:
1x Underground Sea

Business:
2x Disintegrate
2x Fork

Digging:
4x Contract from Below

Recursion:
4x Timetwister

Mana:
4x Mana Vault
4x Mana Crypt
4x Black Lotus
4x Mox Ruby
4x Mox Jet
3x Mox Sapphire
4x Dark Ritual

--
40 cards

----

If you find the ante from Contract from Below hurts too much, try replacing them with 4x Ancestral Recall, however, I only lost one game in about one hundred due to both my disintegrates being anted. Alternatively, you could cut forks for more disintegrates--the forks are in there to fight the 300 life guy. Also, Contract synergizes better with Dark Ritual as well as the natural inclusion of 4 jets to support the rituals (rather than adding more sapphires, since Black Lotus is a better choice to pay for Timetwister... Sapphire is probably the weakest card in the deck right now).

If you get to use later sets somehow (assuming up to Urza block), replace the Underground Sea with a Tolarian Academy, the Mox Jets with Lotus Petals, and the Mox Sapphires (+1 Fork) with Lion's Eye Diamonds. Cut Contract from Below for Ancestral Recall, and the last Fork as well as 3 Mox Rubies for 4x Frantic Search.

--

This deck is absurdly, stupidly broken, and yet hilariously funny at the same time.

Level 40
Mech, I don't get what's so great about it over MWS. I actually find MWS much easier to use, plus it has the obvious advantage of having every card ever rather than only 10E crappy starter decks with no good deck editor.

Sure, it enforces the rules, but that's a downside when you are trying to create the entire game.

My experience with workstation was not good. Either I got people who were pr0 with this program and quitted at the minimum mistake you made either a total noob, who I had to teach from the beginning. Enforcing rules makes life easier and prevents breaking the rules of the game.

There are more than 10E decks and cards, although in 0.7.0 version (which has little better interface) some cards need to be re-implemented, but I learned how to add them (I need to contact the author how to get pics of cards which are not in cardlist database of the game).

Now it's only question about stability, if it's more stable than microprose game, where adding cards it's much harder, especially if you want multiplayer stability (you need to use assembler).

Level 40
I have had a much better experience with MWS.

Anyhow, I'll see if I can't rig up a few sets (hopefully Standard or something, so that we have a defined format) and play some games.

EDIT: Just a note, the fact that you have to manually hook yourself up to another player means this can't really fill the role of MWS even in the extremely unlikely event that the entire game is released for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.