• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Lone Warrior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
For a long time i wanted to do a more "actiony" terrain,but never got any good ideas,until now.
here's the terrain
Lone Warrior.png

Level 36
Holy fucking shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii--- *dies*
- That's one damned badass golem motherfucker.

The glorious golem and overall badassness of this terrain aside, there are some tiny details I'd like to dust out from under the carpet. Such as those two clusters of grass, to my liking they're both a bit too intensely singularity focused, in other words: a bit spammy looking. I reckon adding just the tiniest of variation would make it better.

And the other part is units, now I'm not talking about the main unit, cause he looks fine, I'm not talking about the footmen, cause they barely show, I'm talking about that captain model. I just don't see how you don't see how that model doesn't fit in with the overall quality of the terrain, but then, differences in opinion and all that. However, at the very least turn his attention toward the bigass motherfucking golem, I mean, really? Would you turn your back to... That? >.>

Level 11
I was focusing on the other parts of the terrain a bit too much and didn't pay a lot attention to the grass,but looking at it now I see your point.

The reason the captain unit is tinted brighter is because i wanted him to stand out a bit,to show that he is the the leader of the army,not just another soldier,maybe the contrast between him and the footmen is a bit off.I'll see what i can do to not make him look out of place.

Oh,and the cap's not facing the big-ass golem because I imagined him giving a speech to prepare his men for battle.

Thanks for the feedback.

Level 11
Yes,it's heavily inspired by The Witcher 2,although I played the game more than a year ago,I recently started listening to the soundtrack and it reminded me of the draugr fight.
The weird thing is that for almost all the terrains I made,I have at least one song to go along with it.

As for the right corner,i wanted to make it as a path that lead in to the battlefield and i didn't want to make it look too busy,thinking that it will distract from the main focus point,that being the battle.

Maybe adding some shrubs,rocks or other environmental stuff will solve the emptiness and not be too distracting,I'll see how that works out.
But don't expect any love to be added,there's no place for that on the battlefield!!

Level 36
Although the down right side looks a bit.. Empty and without love. Everything else. Flawless.

Nah, clean doesn't necessarily mean "no love."
- I like the simpleness of that part.

The reason the captain unit is tinted brighter is because i wanted him to stand out a bit,to show that he is the the leader of the army,not just another soldier,maybe the contrast between him and the footmen is a bit off.I'll see what i can do to not make him look out of place.

For one, I don't like the Captain model at all, I don't find the model quality to be on par with the other doodads used in the terrain, but then,
as previously stated, it's a matter of opinion. However! There's two parts of your argument I consider flawed, one relates to reality and the
other relates to tinting. For starters, what kind of Captain would you honestly imagine has the nerves to turn his back to such a bigass
motherfucking construct and have a cheerful speech to his troops?
- It just doesn't make sense to me.

The other part is, I didn't even know there was a troop. After your statement I had to re-view the terrain and squinting I saw the faded silhouette of a regiment,
but it's honestly too damn dark to actually justly expect us to be able to see those footmen at all. Meaning: They should stick out more.

Level 11
On the reality argument,who do you think has the nerves to fight a 5 storey high flaming golem all alone?
Imagine that in a world where such a construct is not impossible the capt most likely fought one of this things in the past and knows how to deal with it.
And, as in real life ,morale is very important on the battlefield,at the sight of his men shivering in fear the capt has to boost their morale and explain how to fight the golem(it being at a reasonable distance and distracted fighting the warrior).

On the tinting issue,i agree with you,when you first said footmen(in the first comment)i thought you meant the army and that made me think they were visible enough,I'll see what changes i can do to improve it when i have some spare time.

Level 36
I was referring to what little I could see of the footman shields on the right side of the Golem, which is infinity easier to spot. Also, for the sake of arguing:

I hero has the nerves to face such a Golem, it isn't about reason in that regard, it's more about being heroic, which on the battlefield overrides the senses of anyone with such a mindset. Also, I wouldn't say the Captain is at "a reasonable distance," considering to my eyes the Golem need only stretch out his hand and bring down the hammer to crush said Captain, and that's really what I'm gunning for here.

See, had the Captain and his troops been standing on a hilltop 500 yards away from the Golem, I'd have no beef with him having his back turned, but at this distance it's really just the tiniest of action that'd lead to his death, and as thus it doesn't make sense that he shouldn't be wary of being hit.

Obviously, this is nitpicking on a microscopic scale, and we can go on arguing for a long time, but fuck it. I like arguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.