• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Light Source Models [For Wc3:WoW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
I'm in need of light source models to enhance the graphical/visual appearance of Wc3:WoW. Light models in WarCraft III produce dynamic shadows and therefore if I use a good deal of them, the mod Wc3:WoW will 'look' better and should run just about the same. Players can adjust the settings in Wc3:WoW to make the mod run better for them.

Anyway, if it's too much to get me a variety of different colored lights to use, I'd at least like a light source or more that will help produce a look to fit The Drag of Orgrimmar.

Level 16
I found yellow, balck, blue, red and white light.

Credit to: WindexIsBack from The Helper

Delete ''war3mapImported'' for path.

Attachments

• Light_Yellow_20.MDX
    1.8 KB · Views: 475
  • Light_Black_20.MDX
    1.8 KB · Views: 355
  • Light_Blue_20.MDX
    1.8 KB · Views: 390
  • Light_Red_20.MDX
    1.8 KB · Views: 405
  • Light_White_20.MDX
    1.8 KB · Views: 479
  • LIGHT_Cover.blp
    1.3 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Level 15
try putting red and blue lights on 1 spot? =)

EDIT: weird, these models dont work for me at all... =/

Last edited:
Level 10
They don't work. I've tried with both no path and war3Imported paths... neither worked. Either the models are bad or they require some sort of special path.

Have you tried using them at night? I'm pretty sure omnilights don't work during the day-light ambient lighting, but you can see them at night. Also, these models (I haven't checked) might be at 0,0,0 so they will be lighting under the ground.... perhaps you have to raise their Z value to be able to see them.

Another thing, I think these kind of lights would be used by replacing the standard warcraft ambient lighting by importing a blank no-light model into the editor and by setting it's path to that of the normal light model.... although I can't remember the path. This way you can light the map using only imported lights for a more realistic effect.

Level 25
I mean they don't work as in the editor tells me the file of the light models are not recognized, making them appear as green and black checkered boxes.

I read about how to add the lights, but it looks like I'll have to edit the entire game's lighting system making all 'scenes' pitch black, except for the areas with light source models placed... not exactly what I had in mind, to be honest.

Level 3
hahaha these arent working becoz...he forgot to attatch the texture..
Path : LIGHT_Cover.blp

Attachments

• LIGHT_Cover.blp
    1.3 KB · Views: 282
Level 3
did u change the path correctly? works for me perfectly

Attachments

• dsfdsfd.png
    dsfdsfd.png
    931.1 KB · Views: 692
Level 10
You know I think it might be easier for you to create your own lights for your map if you plan on doing it this way, so I quickly created a lightsource for you and I'll teach you how to edit it.

Basically you will just need to download war3 model editor and edit a few values. Once in the model editor open the node window and you will see this -

lightediting.jpg

...The window on the right is the node window, and you can see a little light bulb called 'unnamed' there. That is the light. If you double click on that then it will bring up the window on the left where you can edit (/screw around with) the values until you make the perfect light you want. Note that you will not see your changes until you import it in game. Also, if you right click on the unnamed bulb you can see 'edit node' in the drop down menu. If you open this window you can set the x,y,z positions of the light.

Don't select/unselect any of the 'animate' buttons, as I have already sequenced the light with a stand and death animation. The light is on on the stand animation, and off on the death. This is so you can make your lights destructables and trigger them to turn on and off when you want to.

When you have finished the light call it whatever you want without forgetting to add the .mdx extension to the end of the file name. The light requires 1 small texture to be added to the game with it, called and pathed 'translight.blp'. You might notice tho I have also included another texture, redness.blp. This is so when you import the light model, you can import the redness.blp and path it as 'translight.blp' which will make a little solid square visible as part of the light. This will make it easier for you to place your lights in game, and once complete you can replace redness with the proper translight texture to make the squares invisible.

I think this covers everything you need to know to get started, as the sizing and coloring your lights won't look perfect unless you do it yourself.

Oh, and of course you will just need to find how to block out the normal ambient lighting, I think if you track down windexisback's pack that those other lights came from i think it includes the model and path for doing that

Attachments

• light.zip
    1.7 KB · Views: 199
Status
Not open for further replies.