• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Item morph system help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Alright, I'm a little stumped at my structure for how I want my system to work. Here's the basics of it:

Several items as base 'ingredients', 30+.
One basic unit that transforms into another based on what items get put into him.

Current concept:
Each base ingredient has an integer label using custom value. When items get put together on the basic unit, trigger calculates total custom value and checks it against an array which hold integers that correspond to their CV total. (I.E. IntArray[1] = 19, UnitArray[1] = BigBossMan. BigBossMan is the unit that the basic unit becomes if his items total 19.)

Example:
Basic unit is given Item A, labelled with CV 7. He transforms into unit which has the array label of 7.
Basic unit is then given Item B, labelled with CV 12. Total CV is 19, unit transforms into the unit in the array with the label of 19.
So on and so forth up to 6 transformations for 6 items. Items are not allowed to be removed once added, but do carry over from one unit type to the upgraded version.

Problem:
The system works well so far, but I failed to notice a fatal flaw in the logic. Adding item 7 with item 12 to make the unit labelled 19 works fine... but any combination works as well. For example, item 6 plus item 13 would also make the unit labelled 19, when they are supposed to make something else.

So, I need to figure out how to make an efficient system to detect all items in the unit's inventory, and output the correct unit that matches that particular combination. Would greatly appreciate any help that I could get on this issue.

EDIT: After some re-thinking of my logic, I've figured out a way that appears to work. It uses the same system I had in place, but instead of adding integers as labels, I'm using 2-character strings instead, chopping up the string labels for the items and comparing them to an array of string labels for the units. If someone can come up with a better method, I'm still open to ideas.

Last edited:
Level 7
in my map i made a craft system that is a little limited but does its job. i used some arrays:
Craft_Item (Item-type, is the item created)
Craft_ing1 (Item-type, is the first ingridiante item)
Craft_ing1_Amount (Integer, is the amount of charges of that item needed)
Craft_ing2
Craft_ing2_Amount
and so on.. (i have 3)

so if spear needs 2 woods to make i do
Craft_Item[1] = spear
Craft_ing1[1] = wood
Craft_ing1_Amount[1] = 2

then, when the crafting starts i loop through the indexes, searching each inventory slot for the ingridients, if i find a matching receipe i remove the items or charges and create the item.

it suits me.

Status
Not open for further replies.