• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ideas for Human CH04: The Cult of the Damned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hello again! Here I'm back with some suggestions and easters ideas for Chapter 04 of the Human campaign, one of the most forgettable missions in the overall campaign which covers of the most crucial parts in Warcraft's history, the death of Kel'thuzad.

1) Andorhal layout and status.

Though the overall design of the mission needs an overhaul in order to be less bland, there is one area I would suggest being extra careful with, and it's the town layout and its surroundings. It's one of the few locations whose layout was used as an inspiration for WoW, and more importantly, whose layout is used again in the Undead campaign during the Digging Up the Dead mission. So if you do decide to touch the map for whatever, just keep the town and it's surroundings layout in mind. To add up to this suggestion, as Andorhal is seen rebuilt later during the Undead campaign, it would be nice if after you defeat the undead base and you confront Kel'thuzad himself some villagers would appear and start "rebuilding" the town and the fires are put down.

2) Commander of the undead base.

One of the most memorable WoW characters is Araj the Summoner, the lich commander of the scourge forces in the Ruins of Andorhal, which used to be a very hard to clear zone in classic, and which finally met his end during Cataclysm. I would suggest making him appear as the commander of the undead base during this mission, even if he is defeated here, the nice thing about liches is that they can come back easily if their philactery is untouched, hence a nice excuse for his later appearance in WoW.

3) Sorrow Hill side quest.

Notoriously, this chapter doesn't have any side quest of note, one of the reasons most people decided to go the easy way and Divine Shield Arthas to rush the mission and go to the next, more enjoyable one. I suggest here adding at least one Side Quest here, one that involves our fellow characters from last mission. It is known in lore that Dargal, one of the dwarves that joined Arthas in Brill, died and is buried on Sorrow Hill, the big cemetery south of Andorhal, and High Priests Thel'danis tends to Uther's Tomb, also located in Sorrow Hill, during WoW, so why not use this as starting point for this quest. First, just before the first wave of Scourge forces arrives, show a brief cutscene with Dargal scouting the area ahead, then, suddenly he is surrounded by ghouls and killed by no other that Araj the Summoner. After the wave is dealt with, the side quest appears: "Optional Quest, Sorrow Hill. Dargal has fallen to the damned Scourge. High Priest Thel'danis suggests giving the brave dwarf a proper burial in the nearby graveyard, Sorrow Hill. Find the cemetery and clear the Scourge forces haunting it." After the quest is done (you could use the spot where the second gold mine is to be the graveyard to make it more rewarding) Thel'danis would turn into a neutral unit "leaving" the party as well and staying in Sorrow Hill, leaving a reward, an item called "Thel'danis' Memento" with the following description: "Thel'danis decided to stay in Sorrow Hill to ensure his fellow friend's rest is not disturbed. He gave Prince Arthas this token of appreciation before leaving.", the item would give some bonus mana regen + the Exorcise active spell.

4) Tichondrius + Scholomance.

One of the few parts notably different between this chapter and the undead campaign portrayal, is the little village south of the broken bridge in Andorhal. On the undead campaign mission this would be the place where Tichoundrius waits for Arthas until he finishes his task while "feasting on souls", literally. In the human chapter there is no little village or its inhabitants, in its place there is a goblin merchant. My propossal here is to "tease" Tichondrius later appearance this way. Make the little village, as it should be there in the first place, and replace the goblin merchant with a Marketplace called "Tichus' Market", with a red team colored villager named "Tichus" beside it, also the villager is classified as "Demon" and invulnerable. This would represent how Tichondrius, in disguise, is watching everything, unknowingly to the prince. To further add the tease, make the store have one odd "Vampiric Potion" in stock. Adding up to the idea one other item the store sells could be called "Ferry ticket to Caer Darrow". Upon being purchased a codex entry would be granted called "Scholomance" and add the description of the secret school of Necromancy in the area.

5) Redpath the Corrupted + Gahrron's Withering.

One recurring storyline in the western and eastern plaguelands during WoW was that of Joseph Redpath and Gahrron's Withering. In the storyline, Joseph Redpath dies by the Scourge hands and is risen in undeath, then arrives to a farm east of Andorhal by the name Gahrron's Quickening and kills the owner's family, who flees and becomes an Argent Dawn soldier, afterwards, Undead Redpath is put down by Alliance forces. My idea here would be to show how this event unfolds as a secret called "Gahrron's Withering". The farm is represented along with its owner Del Gahrron and his wife Gloria and daughter Andrea, when the player finds it the scene plays, a zombie footman called "Redpath the Corrupted" shows up with some ghouls and kills Gloria and Andrea while Del Gahrron manages to flee, then the player should kill Redpath which would give some reward. Del might later show up in Hearthglen in the next mission.

Well, this here are my suggestions. Please tell me what you think of them and discuss!

Level 15
Just read through your ideas, I have a few comments about it and some stuff that I dug up that might help. :)

1) Andorhal Layout & Status

I love the idea of townsfolk returning to start repairing the village. I've wondered if perhaps the base-building aspect of the mission should happen after you've met Kel'thuzad in Andorhal, as it'd feel like Prince Arthas has helped rebuild the town.

I agree with the idea of being careful with its redesign so it doesn't conflict too greatly with WoW, but I'm not in total agreement, and this is why:

One of the TFT MP maps is called Andorhal. It presents Andorhal as a single large map with canals. Though WoW & the human campaign present Andorhal differently, both those views are scaled down versions of the settlement. WoW especially is notorious for scaling things down. My suggestion is not to use the MP map, that would be silly, but to take inspiration from it, particularly the canals. Canals are a very useful way of transporting goods in an era prior to motorised vehicles, so it makes sense that the grain capital of Lordaeron sits on one.

As long as Andorhal has the same kind of shape as it does in WoW, it'll feel as if it belongs, but I also feel its a good idea to update the map by taking inspiration from all sources and that sometimes its better to differ from WoW.

2) Commander of the Undead Base

Although I believe Araj the Summoner arrived in the region later on, I can't say I'm against the idea. It'd be a nice nod to his status in Andorhal in WoW. So I'm all for this idea!

3) Sorrow Hill Sidequest

I agree that a sidequest is necessary for this mission, and I definitely agree that Dargal needs to be killed as part of the mission somewhere. He dies at around this point in the canon, and he's buried in Sorrow Hill that's just outside Andorhal, so its the perfect time.

There is unused dialogue for Arthas in this map - for when he thinks Jaina has been killed, for when he discovers her alive, and talking about a deactivated gateway. You could potentially reintroduce elements of this as part of the gameplay, perhaps separating the two heroes for a brief spell, a bit like with Thrall & his wolf in the re-reforged prologue. Alternatively, you could remove the word "Jaina..." from "Jaina... I swear by the Light. You shall be avenged!" and play that line when Dargal dies.

If we go with a sidequest that isn't tied to Dargal or Jaina, we could reuse the dialogue about the deactivated gateway. A side quest could involve reactivating the gateway, and once you use it, it teleports you to a hidden area with some kind of reward or perhaps an enemy to hunt down and slay. I'll have to give more thought to it.

4) Tichondrius & Scholomance

I think its a good idea to align the maps if they are the same, and I kind of like the Tichondrius teaser though I'm not 100% sold on it. The vampiric potion idea isn't a bad one, it's a nice nod if the easter egg is added. However, I disagree about the Ferry Ticket item and revealing about Scholomance. At this stage of the story it is too early to reveal the existence of the school of necromancy under Caer Darrow. Instead, I'd suggest a codex entry about Caer Darrow, but one that is written as a teaser that something is amiss there, rather than explicitly saying that the undead control it.

In the RPG book the School of Necromancy was constructed beneath Andorhal, but in WoW it was moved to Caer Darrow. I'm not going to suggest retconning Caer Darrow, but I do think having Kel'thuzad's lair beneath Andorhal is a viable possibility for his last stand. Alternatively, it can be moved out of the city but still retain that same function as a training ground for the Cult.

Another possibility is placing Kel'thuzad's boss fight in Sorrow Hill itself, as its a huge graveyard and so it is ripe for him to start raising the dead.

5) Redpath the Corrupted & Gahron's Withering

From what I remember of the Redpath storyline, and what I've read up on recently, I get the impression that the Battle of Darrowshire happened after King Terenas was murdered by Prince Arthas. Although I'm not against the idea of a tease, I do think it would be better to add the teaser during the Undead campaign.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.