• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Icon Contest #16 - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 50
Most important is to have open theme, related with wc3 and as Naze said, it would be good to connect it with website content. Even if there was already such contest, I'd still suggest custom models corresponding icons. There could be made shortlist of models sorted by some method into categories to pick from.

San

San

Level 32
Create four ability icons for one chosen melee Warcraft 3 unit/custom models.
Or maybe, Four items/artifacts/armors they're equipping. But I think it's kinda hard to squeeze four item out of one model, maybe we could extend the range to 'relateable objects'.

Last edited:

San

San

Level 32
upload_2017-8-2_20-31-41.png

Level 50
Well, the theme that offers the possibility of drawing almost everything people mentioned in here is custom model/texture theme. If someone wants to draw futuristic icons find futuristic model that fits them, if you want to make elemental based abilities find relevant model etc. So I don't think there is point in creating theme poll as this theme covers most of the things suggested here.

Since Icon contest 10 had same theme, only models/textures posted after 28.7. 2012 will be allowed. Portrait + 3 abilities.

Well, state your opinion if you disagree or got something to add.

Level 11
OR you could do a 'round-robin' type contest where you pick a separate hive resource for each icon but each must be from a separate 'category'.

Ex: | Unit/Critter (From Model Section or Skins) | Spell (from spell section) or Ability/Effect (Models) | Item/Attachment | Building/Doodad/Destructible |

That way there's more ground covered- more freedom - however if you wanted more of a 'theme' you can say they all have to be related to each other or not, ie. Banshee / undead spell / undead item / banshee barracks but with custom resources. (Okay, so that was a terrible example- I obviously don't warcraft- permit me to try again: ex. Haradim Unit /SandTrapeffect/cobra basket/one of mike's arab buidings.)

Though I'm busy dealing with real life problems like job and family. I still want to participate to this upcoming contest if I'm lucky to have a free-time. Anyway, these are my suggestions:

1. Animal Abilities/Instincts
2. Nature related icons
3. Doodads
4. Horror
5. Modern things
6. Kitchen
7. Food part 2
8. Dota inspired abilities
9. Warcraft meme faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.