• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I can't click to Blood Elf Lieutenant !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
So I am a big fan of Blood/High Elves in Warcraft Lore.
So I downloaded a Blood Elf Lieutennant model from here:http://wcunderground.freeforums.org/blood-elf-lieutenant-t4520.html

Everything was okay until when I'm tested the game.
I can't click on the Lieutenant !
Everything works fine without the model but...
It's rly an epic model so :p
I can only click him dragging a box around him.
I'm waiting your help. :goblin_cry:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Model must lack a hitbox. Without the hitbox it cannot be targeted as it has no targetable presence. Area selection still works because it uses unit origin instead of hitbox geometry. Either add a hitbox of your own or report the model if it is on THW for failing to comply with rules.

I have no idea why people are mentioning texture import paths when that has nothing to do with selection at all. This is the "Void Walker" problem, where the hitbox for click targeting does not match the unit geometry. The Void Walker head is outside the hitbox defined for it so that targeting the head visually will target the ground or unit behind it rather than the Void Walker. This problem is made worse during attack animation where the Void Walker moves a great distance visually but the hitbox remains static. DotA Allstars imported a special fixed Void Walker model which had better hit boxes.

Level 28
[Off-topic: Or just not do anything with the model, save the map and continue your work? I never restarted the editor and the new models worked fine, unless I touched with their paths before saving.
It is not possible directly without a restart unless they don't use costum textures.
Still... I can't click to it
The problem is not in the import manager then, perhaps you did something wrong in the Object Editor.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Can we please clarify the problem. People think the model is not showing (nothing or funny cube in game) however the way you describe it could also be interpreted as the model file has bad hitbox geometry so is hard to select in game. None of the solutions above will solve bad hitbox geometry as that is a problem with the model itself.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The actual mdl/mdx file is broken as it lacks proper hitbox geometry. This is likely the result of it being ported badly from WoW which may not need/have such geometry. The only fix is to modify the MDX file and add hit box geometry to it that vaguely matches the model geometry.

It is not an issue with selection circle. It is not an issue with importing the model. It is an issue with the model file itself being wrong as the model file's author did not make it correctly, likely due to laziness/ignorance.

The hitbox is simplified geometry used to emphasize model bounds for "hit" detection. When you target a unit, such as click selecting it, the hitbox geometry is used to test if the cursor "hit" the model or not. Without such geometry, or if the geometry is wrong, then it will fail to select units when they are clicked. The hitbox geometry serves both to simplify the hit test complexity (as the geometry is much simpler than the model geometry) and to improve hit accuracy (otherwise with fast moving or fine geometry one could miss click by mistake).

I am not an expert with this. I would recommend a model maker provide more fine details.

Level 2
The actual mdl/mdx file is broken as it lacks proper hitbox geometry. This is likely the result of it being ported badly from WoW which may not need/have such geometry. The only fix is to modify the MDX file and add hit box geometry to it that vaguely matches the model geometry.

It is not an issue with selection circle. It is not an issue with importing the model. It is an issue with the model file itself being wrong as the model file's author did not make it correctly, likely due to laziness/ignorance.

The hitbox is simplified geometry used to emphasize model bounds for "hit" detection. When you target a unit, such as click selecting it, the hitbox geometry is used to test if the cursor "hit" the model or not. Without such geometry, or if the geometry is wrong, then it will fail to select units when they are clicked. The hitbox geometry serves both to simplify the hit test complexity (as the geometry is much simpler than the model geometry) and to improve hit accuracy (otherwise with fast moving or fine geometry one could miss click by mistake).

I am not an expert with this. I would recommend a model maker provide more fine details.

So, Anyway to fix this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.