• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Trigger] How to work around limits of world ed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey, I am currently trying to make a spell so that when one unit casts something, another unit (building) casts a different spell on him. The latter spell is basically the diamond of summoning one but using the trigger editor it doesnt let me set it so that the building can cast it onto the first guy. It only lets me use all the preset hero abilities.

I don't know jass but I will appreciate anyone giving me some sort of code that I can just copy and paste into the triiger in jass form. Even better will be if someone shows me how to do this just with gui.
Thanks

Level 9
Simple. Just make a dummy unit at position of the crystal/whatever it is. Whenever a unit is casting ability you want - order dummy unit to cast another spell.

Incase you dont know what the dummies are, a dummy unit is a unit without a model and shadow - so you cant see it. And the most important thing, they must have Locust ability - to make them invulnerable/unselectable.

To order a dummy to cast a spell, you must know which spell you've used as base. For example, you've made a spell based off on Mountain King's Thunderclap. Now, to order dummy to cast the ability, you have to do:
  • Unit - Order dummy001 <gen> to Human - Mountain King - Thunderclap
If the spell is based on ability that makes you have to select a target after activating, for example Life Drain - you have to use Issue an order targeting an object instead of Issue an order without a target (which was used in the trigger line above) and select proper ability (in this case - Neutral - Dark Ranger - Life Drain)

Level 12
Dude the topic name should be relevant to the topic you know :D
Like: "How do you figure out what order affects what spell?"
In the object editor, in the ability section, go to the spell of the building.
There almost at the bottom, there is a "Text - Order string - Use/Turn On"
That string(which is choosable from a drop down menu) is what orders the unit to cast this ability. Make sure that a unit does not have two abilities with the same "Text - Order string - Use/Turn On"
This string corresponds to something in that list of spells(they are not only hero spells).
Now figure out what spell the string corresponds (thunderbolt - storm bolt, thunderclap - thunderclap ). When you order the building to cast Use that spell.
Note that you will have to select a string that corresponds to a targetable spell(thunderbolt).

Level 2
Thanks both of you and yes sorry for the less-than-helpful title to the thread. I blame it on exam pressures. Anywhom, many thanks especially to spiwn as his suggestion seems easier and quicker. But I will remember to utilise both in the future.
Ah slight hitch to it though Ive just realised. I cant find any spells in the list in the trigger ed that use the darksummoning order text. Ill keep searching but help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Level 12
Spells can be classified by their target:
No target(instant)
Unit
Point
Thunder clap is a no target spell.

Level 2
Thanks alot man, thats sorted it. Rep for you and good luck with the map I spy in your signature. Thanks.
(Its now very simple after you told me, it seems I didn't quite explore all the avenues of trying it at all)

Status
Not open for further replies.