• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] How to make a Texture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I have been wondering myself that after searching for custom made UI's I am wondering how do we make a Texture like making a UI and a unit texture.Is there a aplication that needs to be used or just a tool that can be downloaded here in hive.

So I am willing to start making a texture once I know how to.

Questions:
1.When you make a unit texture do you draw a texture?
2.When you create a custom made UI do you draw?

If you are willing to help me then just comment I need a tutorial in making a texture.Thanks in advance!

Updated the thread=Note:The thread is now solved I did not learned texturing but I learned a little so the thread is now solved so there is no more to discuss in this thread

Note to the Moderator that is viewing this thread:The thread is now close you can iether delete this thread or just lock it.Thank you!

Still viewing this thread? Don't waste your time here this thread is solved and there are no more to discuss in this thread.---Thank YoU!---

Last edited:
Level 25
@Wardota2 Gamer, I don't think there are any tutorials for UI texturing, but as Rheiko said, it's the same thing as making a texture for a 3D asset (or "unit"). It's a 2D, digital drawing. Nothing more, nothing less. Check out this old contest for reference.

I think those posts are the closets you'll get to a tutorial. There's an old one here, but the forum has changed a great deal since 2008 and the pictures are lost. Here's a graveyard UI tutorial, while it's not up to snuff, it might help. And that's it, from what I can remember anyway.

Edit
This post: Texturing Contest #18 - UI

A clear reference for what you can do with the WC3 UI elements.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
For texturing existing wraps you will need to first extract the appropriate texture and convert it into a standard image format. You are then after using some art tool, eg GIMP, and stencilling around the various parts of the texture image in a new layer. Add down major features such as face position, etc to avoid distortion. You then paint whatever you want using your amazing art skills, possibly learnt at school or by practicing at home.

Texturing for a custom model that you made is more tricky. You need to first unwrap the model geometry into texture coordinates. One should be able to export a stencil from this unwrap to aid with the drawing. Then you need to draw the texture using this and your amazing art skills. One might have to test how the texture looks on the model and correct parts of it several times in an iterative process to accommodate for things like perspective distortion. When unwrapping it is recommended to try and keep the resolution (texels per unit area) of the geometry consistent, not only does this make drawing easier as the texture is less distorted but it often looks better in game as the overall model quality is less variable.

Status
Not open for further replies.