• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

High Elves are already a playable race.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
A lot of people want High Elves as a playable race or sub-race but what if I told you that you can already play as a High Elf.

First of all we need to establish the difference between a Blood Elf and a High Elf for that I will use Valeera Sanguinar, Vereesa Windrunner and Lor'Themar Theron to establish the difference. Everyone who's currently not a part of the traditions upheld in Quel'Thalas is considered to be a High Elf. The tradition I'm speaking of is that blood elves sate their addiction of magic many times by consuming magical creatures including demons. Anyone who refused to succumb to their desires was kicked out of Quel'Thalas. In Night of the Dragon when Iridi made the claim that Vereesa was a Blood Elf to witch Vereesa reacted with immense anger. Iridi later understood her mistake and the book states "her eyes was enough to prove that to be true." Lastly we have Valeera Sanguinar who describes herself as a blood elf but she is not aligned with the Horde nor does she reside in Quel'Thalas.

Now back to the title yes I'm not kidding High Elves are already playable. You see blood elf death knights are not addicted to magic as was stated by Blizzard.
Q: Are blood elf death knights still afflicted by their racial addiction to magic?

A: No, though their new addiction, the one all Ebon Blade death knights possess, is arguably worse: the need to inflict pain. If death knights do not regularly inflict agony upon another creature, they begin to suffer wracking pains that could drive them into a mindless, blood-seeking hysteria—a far worse fate than that of those who suffer from arcane withdrawal.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2283549208

This to all extent and purposes means that if you play as a "blood elf" death knight you are in truth only a high elf who has been accepted into blood elf society because you have no need to sate any magical desire.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I do not understand why the alliance is so against them. Their desire for magic is nowhere near as bad as many other things in the world. I am pretty sure it does not even make them stronger than Jaina, who last I knew was not obsessed with consuming magic where possible and who was at some stage leader of the alliance.

So instead they are allied with the Undead in the form of the Forsaken. Although the Forsaken were lead by Sylvanas Windrunner, a former High Elf (not sure if she still leads or was blown up like so many heroes of old), the undead were also the very cause of their suffering. Seeing how they even thought that Kael'thalas was going too far down a dark part I would have thought that redeeming themselves would have been high on their list of priorities rather than siding with some of the very beings they hated.

Although maybe they were united with their hatred of Lord Garaoth (who Sylvanas killed). I guess that is enough to unite even mortal enemies into friendship.

Oh well this rant is far too late, seeing how they have been in for like 5 expansions or something.

Level 9
I do not understand why the alliance is so against them. Their desire for magic is nowhere near as bad as many other things in the world. I am pretty sure it does not even make them stronger than Jaina, who last I knew was not obsessed with consuming magic where possible and who was at some stage leader of the alliance.

So instead they are allied with the Undead in the form of the Forsaken. Although the Forsaken were lead by Sylvanas Windrunner, a former High Elf (not sure if she still leads or was blown up like so many heroes of old), the undead were also the very cause of their suffering. Seeing how they even thought that Kael'thalas was going too far down a dark part I would have thought that redeeming themselves would have been high on their list of priorities rather than siding with some of the very beings they hated.

Although maybe they were united with their hatred of Lord Garaoth (who Sylvanas killed). I guess that is enough to unite even mortal enemies into friendship.

Oh well this rant is far too late, seeing how they have been in for like 5 expansions or something.
Alliance hates Blood Elves, because they "betrayed" the alliance.

Level 24
I do not understand why the alliance is so against them?

In general they don't have that much against blood elves it is more the blood elves that hates the humans at this point. That's not to say that humans are overly comfortable with Blood Elves as we saw when Valeera Sanguinar visited Stormwind. If there's any race that are on bad terms with the sin'dorei in the Alliance it's the quel'dorei. Although that is a complicated relation as pretty much all high elves have friends and relatives who are blood elves. Varian actually held meetings with Lor'Themar about rejoining the Alliance and Lor'Themar was on board until Jaina Proudmore went insane and decided to commit genocide against the blood elves just like Garithos did.

If you want the short version to your answer I'll let Lor'Themar explain it to you. "When will they learn, when will they see that the Horde exists because of the Alliance! Because of their prejudice and their bigotry! They force us ever closer to Hellscreams Horde!"

Level 3
It's about immersion. For example when you play as Death Knight, gameplay is good, but what makes it amaizing is the fact you work for Arthas and fight as one of Death Knights in Warcraft 3.
As for differences, I would like to point out that faction names Alliance and Horde are mistake, because they are both...alliances. Alliance is obvious-it's Alliance betwean, Ironforge, Arie Peak, Stormwind, Stormgarde, Night Elves, Dalaran, Theramore, etc. Point is it's alliance of many kingdoms. So is the Horde. Actually real Horde is like the one from Wc3 - Orcish clans, Trolls of some tribes, Goblins and Tauren tribes). Blood Elves are allied with that Horde in Kalimdor but more importantly with Forsaken. Both Blood Elves have their own Kindgoms. Blood Elves have Kingdom of Quel'thalas and Forsake have Kingdom of Lordaeron. I think they somehow wanted to show this trough reputation sistem, but it didn't worked.
Anyway, what I was saying is people forget that many High Elves are not citezens of Quel'thalas, but citezens of Human Kingdoms. Some were unawear of what is happening in Quel'thalas like those in Theramore before establishing contact betwean Kalimdor and Old Continent. And it's not Humans have problem with Alliance, it's Belves have problems with Alliance. Stormwind and Ironforge supported Garithos and we know what happened. When they wanted to reconquer Silvermoon, Forsaken helped them while Night Elves sent spies. Night Elves welcomed Highbournes which was slap to the face to the BElves. However, They are the least loyal to the Horde out of Horde races and they have the best relationships out of Horde races. Example, after Sunwell, Draenai and Blood Elves are really good allies. They apperently have at very least diplomatic relationship Stormwind and Ironforge.
To finish this, High Elves are citezens of Kingdom of Stormwind or Dalaran. Reason adding them is for immersion.

Level 24
To finish this, High Elves are citezens of Kingdom of Stormwind or Dalaran.

Not really Valeera Sanguinar isn't a part of Quel'Thalas yet she classifies herself as a blood elf she even does it in the comic right after she gets her green eyes. Even though as she says she hasn't been to Quel'Thalas since she was taken as a slave.

Reason adding them is for immersion.

But they already are playable that's the entire point. You are only bringing your own opinion while I present mine by backing it up with statements from the books and comics which is canon story. If you have a different opinion I welcome it but please back it up with something.

Level 3
Not really Valeera Sanguinar isn't a part of Quel'Thalas yet she classifies herself as a blood elf she even does it in the comic right after she gets her green eyes. Even though as she says she hasn't been to Quel'Thalas since she was taken as a slave.

Did you even read what I wrote? She is Blood Elf because she drank milk from her mom when she was baby who was Blood Elf. She is citezen of Stormwind because she had no where to go. Basicly Varian welcomed her. She is unique case and you can't compare her with everyone else.

But they already are playable that's the entire point. You are only bringing your own opinion while I present mine by backing it up with statements from the books and comics which is canon story. If you have a different opinion I welcome it but please back it up with something.

If you want specificly to back it up, since warcraft3 and in vanilla (not sure in wrath during silver convent introduction) it is stated that they are loyal to one of the Human kingdom (like Sorcress from wc3). In the Shadow of the Sun, you should see that High Elves don't consider Blood Elves as their people (even tough they are) neither do they forsaken elves. If you want specificly Blood Elf Death Knight, it is really up to you, but I doubt they consider themselves Blood Elves or in this case High Elves. Since you really want "backup", Koltira is loyal to Sylvanas not Lor'themar. Since he leads Horde Death Knights, I would say they are mostly loyal first to the Ebon Blade, then Sylvanas as we can see by another Death Knight on Draenor altough he is Forsaken.
As for immersion, the point is to play as someone who was banished from Quel'thalas for not absorbing magic. The one who didn't toyed with fel magic. The one who stayed true to serving the Light. The one who is actually in the Alliance not Horde.

Next time read before you write.

Level 24
Now it's starting to get fun. ^^

If you want specificly to back it up, since warcraft3 and in vanilla (not sure in wrath during silver convent introduction) it is stated that they are loyal to one of the Human kingdom (like Sorcress from wc3).

I am not certain what to make of this it's immensely vague on where to find this info please link me the source for this. As for the Sorceress in WarCraft III that unit was introduced prior to the birth of the sin'dorei and in the Frozen Throne expansion there's no human campaign.

And if you think that the Silver Covenant holds no allegiance to Quel'Thalas then remember that she was invited to defend Quel'Thalas against the Amani an invitation she happily accepted. Besides the Silver Covenant served more as peace keepers rather than soldiers of the Alliance and they carried out no offensive action against any member of the Horde. And in WotLK Dalaran was not an Alliance city but a neutral state as said by Rhonin, if you remember Aethas was even one of the leaders of the city. And you may state that Dalaran was mainly humans and obviously it was and entire city doesn't just get absolutly equal racial diversity over night.

In the Shadow of the Sun, you should see that High Elves don't consider Blood Elves as their people (even tough they are) neither do they forsaken elves.

I don't really understand how this would speak against me as I never said that they were one and the same people. I made the case that the racial difference lay in whether or not they succumbed to their urge for magical power and not on their geographical location.

If you want specificly Blood Elf Death Knight, it is really up to you, but I doubt they consider themselves Blood Elves or in this case High Elves.

If the difference between the sin'dorei and quel'dorei is that sin'dorei give in to their urges and death knights don't have those urges is it really up to our imagination then? The other argument you could make is that all death knights are undead but seeing as several death knights align themselves with the Alliance it's clear that at least a respectable portion of them don't see themselves as undead. Since some dwarven death knights still see themselves as dwarves and not undead it can also be justly assumed that some high elf death knights still regard themselves as high elves.

Since you really want "backup", Koltira is loyal to Sylvanas not Lor'themar. Since he leads Horde Death Knights, I would say they are mostly loyal first to the Ebon Blade, then Sylvanas as we can see by another Death Knight on Draenor altough he is Forsaken.

Alright first of all Koltira is an individual and not representative of every high elf death knight. Second it's fun that you use the words "leads Horde Death Knights" because I traveled to Andorhal and he was commanding forsaken soldiers and not Death Knights so in this scenario he really is all by himself.

As for immersion, the point is to play as someone who was banished from Quel'thalas for not absorbing magic. The one who didn't toyed with fel magic.

Alright example number one Koltira Deathweaver whom you loved to bring up so much. He died prior to the exsistance of the blood elves and after becoming a death knight he had no urge to to absorb any magic and actually absorbing magic would do nothing to him. In other words he would in every sense of the way be a high elf.

The one who stayed true to serving the Light.

Yes because as we all know there are no blood elf priests or paladins. :D

The one who is actually in the Alliance not Horde.

This one's actually valid. High elves are playable in the game but they are not playable for the Alliance. But then again why include a race that's already playable for one faction to the other faction. Why not rather focus on a race that is not playable in either faction such as the furbolgs?

Next time read before you write.

Wow that's ballsy considering that this is all you wrote. "Reason adding them is for immersion. " I'm sorry but that's just not very elaborated at all. Next time type before you think. ;) (Two can play it that game. :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.