• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

HELP! Working on Map for 1 Year & Hit a WALL - HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I need a hero to be able to carry an item that is a building, then drop it, and have it quickly build. I got that part- I just modified the art on the tiny-buildings already available as items. Here's the tricky part I can't seem to figure out...

I need the hero to be able to pack the building back up again, and put it down in a new spot whenever the player desires it. How do I do this? Are you able to unbuild a building and put it back in the inventory as an item?

I would really like to finish my map- please help!

Level 39
Are you able to unbuild a building and put it back in the inventory as an item?
No. Best you can do is give the building an untargeted 'pack up' ability it can use or give another unit a targeted 'pack up' ability that they can cast on the building, then trigger the effect yourself. You simply need to check what unit type is being packed up, then create the appropriate item and give it to the appropriate unit.

If you would like it to look nice, you can give the building a negative animation speed and play its 'birth' animation to make it appear to be un-constructed. You can delay the removal and item-creation effects with a timer so it matches with the animation when it is finished, or possibly use the Wait action (depending on how many different buildings might be being packed up simultaneously).

Level 2
No. Best you can do is give the building an untargeted 'pack up' ability it can use or give another unit a targeted 'pack up' ability that they can cast on the building, then trigger the effect yourself. You simply need to check what unit type is being packed up, then create the appropriate item and give it to the appropriate unit.

If you would like it to look nice, you can give the building a negative animation speed and play its 'birth' animation to make it appear to be un-constructed. You can delay the removal and item-creation effects with a timer so it matches with the animation when it is finished, or possibly use the Wait action (depending on how many different buildings might be being packed up simultaneously).

Wow! this is succinct, easy to understand, and awesome. Thank you for giving me the advice I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.