• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with editing Kael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
You know how most of the Blood Elf models here have green eyes? It's cool, I know. So the thing is, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I could give those green eyes to Kael as well.

I know it has something to do with textures and I tried to do it myself using one of the greenglow textures in the MPQ but I still couldn't pull it off.

Can anyone give step by step instructions on how to do it? Or at least send me a Kael model with green eyes? Although I think I'd prefer just receiving instructions since I plan to do that to the sorceress and priest units.

Level 25
You simply need to recolor the eyes on the texture. Here's how you do it:
1. Export the Blood Mage skin from the war3x.mpq. I'd recommend using War3 Model Editor for this. For the Priest and the Sorceress, simply export their respective skins from the MPQ as well.
2. Convert the .blp file(s) to another format that allows alpha. I personally use .bmp. BLP Laboratory and Warcraft 3 Viewer, both available here on Hive, can do this.
3. Open the file in a photo manipulation program, such as Photoshop or GIMP (if you have none of those, get GIMP. It's free).
4. Mark the area you want changed (in this case the eyes), and recolor it. If you right click on the area, you should have a couple of options that will do this for you, so you don't have to think about shading/highlights, but you can simply color the area yourself if you find that easier.
5. Convert the file back to .blp using the same program as before, import it with the path of the texture you want to replace, and voila!

Now, just as a side note: Don't upload these textures to Hive. Hive requires at least 75% freehanded work, and this will have none.

Status
Not open for further replies.