• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HELP ME IM NEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
hi im new here and i would like to ask how to make percentage skills by trigger like i have 25% chance to do split shot please help i'd like to learn how to do it. my next question is pretty noobish but i'll ask it anyway. Whats the purpose of dummys what are they for and could someone make an example of a dummy spell so i could learn how to use them properly.

anyway thanks

Level 7
I will answer your Dummy question for now. That is not much of a noobish question though. If you are not familiar with trigger enhanced spells then maybe you don't know so someone like me will tell you :) .

Dummy's are units that are used in trigger enhanced spells. Trigger enhanced spells (if you don't know) are just spells but made more complex and entertaining by triggers. Dummy units are needed in these to do certain tasks within the spell. This might all sound confusing so I will give you an example.

Take the spell Blizzard. It is a AoE spell that slows enemies. Now what if you wanted the enemy to also be stunned as well? In the object editor, you cannot stun an enemy within the Blizzard ability. Here's where triggers come in.

As I said, trigger enhanced spells are more entertaining. Isn't it entertaining to see a bunch of Footmen stunned underneath a Blizzard as they take on the next wave?

Now the within the triggers you will need the assistance of Dummies. You can have them created when your Hero casts Blizzard. Then while Blizzard is in effect, give the Dummies an ability that stuns (such as Storm Bolt but without a projectile art and no damage) and order the Dummies to stun each target in the AoE of the Blizzard. After the Blizzard is over, remove the Dummies from the game. Altogether it looks like the Blizzard was the one that stunned the Footmen!

Just in case you don't know, Dummies are invulnerable, invisible, and unselectable, so they are completely undetecable in the game. You can give Dummies these attriblutes by giving them the Locust ablility and changing their Art - Model to just nothing. That will make it invisible in the game.

Good luck with your spells!

Level 7
I am glad I could help you.

You asked how to make Dummy units and I will tell you. Create a new custom unit, prefrebly a Footman(most people use Footmen)

Then in the required fields, do these instructions:

Abilities – Normal – Locust (makes unit invulnerable, unselectable, and turns its collision off)

Art – Model File – In the custom field, type nomodel.mdl (so that ingame you will not see the dummy)

Art – Shadow Image – None
Art – Special – None
Combat – Attacks enabled – None
Combat – Death Type – Can’t Raise, Does not Decay
Movement – Speed Base – Zero
Movement – Type – Fly
Sound – Unit Sound Set – None
Stats – Can Flee – False
Stats – Food Cost – Zero
Stats – Hide Minimap Display – True
Stats – Sight Radius (Day) – 0
Stats – Sight Radius (Night) – 0
Techtree – Upgrades Used – None

Level 7
The problem with that is if the attackers damage or range or cooldown changes, the split shot will still do the old damage, range, or cooldown. This is because once a unit has a split shot at a set damage (probably the damage of the attacker) then it can't change, even if the attackers real damage changes. Kind of odd because if this does occur then when he attacks, one of his projectiles will do say...40 damage and the others will do something different, say...30. Now you have uneven damage :? .

Level 7
Well a split shot if based off the ability Barrage. Barrage activates whenever the unit that has it attacks. Now say if the Dark Ranger had Barrage and you wanted it to shoot 3 Black Arrows whenever the Black Arrow ability is autocasted. That couldn't work because when Black Arrow is autocasted, it does not register as the unit "attacking". Therefore Barrage will not activate and you will not have a multishot.

Status
Not open for further replies.