• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Help making a tutorial cinematic for my map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
So my map is very complex and not very user-friendly (at least until you know what you are doing). I've tried to simplify it, and I've even had success with some major projects in this aspect, but I often add new things that make it more complex and there are still things that are not obvious if you don't have someone telling you about it. I want to set this up and then I think it could be ready to be posted on here. It's basically a forever on-going project for me, so it will have updates, but I don't want to put it up until it is easy to get into when you've never played it before.

I have some simple difficulty levels in place and I would like to add one called "beginner". When this difficulty is chosen, I want the game to pause and have a short cinematic where it shows the main game objectives and stuff like where the shops are.

It will probably also be accompanied with a very easy difficulty, but I can handle that part, I think. I plan to make it so heroes are extremely tough so that you can afford to make lots of mistakes and it won't be so bad.

I already have a difficulty selection system in place (though I plan to update that as well lol), so don't worry about that part. I just want to know what I am doing with cinematics.

EDIT:
I'll also accept any tips to make a map more user-friendly in general.

EDIT2:
I'm reading up on some cinematic tutorials in the meantime. It looks like I can make the cinematics separate for each player. Am I right in thinking this? I think it will be easiest if I have it automatically play the cinematic after a player has built their hero.

I'm thinking it could basically be like 4 or 5 main shots with some text at the bottom to explain what you're looking at. Then it would be nice if you could skip each section by pressing ESC or something, again, separate for each player. Is this possible?

Also these are locations on my map. Is there a nice way to show where on the map you are during a cinematic? I was thinking I could just have the camera pan to each location so you have a general idea. Is this a good plan?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.