• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hello! I'm new! Does anybody really post here or am i weird for posting here? O.o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey! I'm not sure that anyone actually uses this, but i'm naive so i'll do it anyways ;P

I just found this website today and was very excited to see all of the resources available for creating custom maps! To be honest i've always been disappointed with a lot of the custom WC3 maps online. I'll never understand how people can play so much DoTa, or any game for very long. I get bored by the lack of diversity of the gameplay- that's basically what turned me to map-making. Since i'm finally buckling down and making this map i am glad that i could find a community that's friendly to join for help when i need it (oh and i WILL need it.... hopefully not too often though :p)

This is just a taste of what my game will (hopefully) include, a lot of this is already in place, just the intensive work that a single unit requires makes the process slow:

-30 minute day with a 12.5 minute day at 17.5 minute night.
-At night all units on the map can see 20% as far (instead of 40%) and the team color of every single player is changed to black, representing the difficulty of telling units apart at night. (team colors return every dawn)
-Neutral buildings that act as gold mines where you can have trade ships or workers carry back goods in the form of gold. These will also serve as shops and recruitment buildings. (i'm not sure i can put all that in one building, but we'll see- i don't see any reason why i couldn't)
-Realistic combat:
1. Units will all have similar hp and negligible attack, but will sometimes strike a worthy blow, and will occasionally block (the evade text has been changed from "miss" to "blocked")
2. Only seige units and special other units can even attack buildings now- eliminating the "just give me some time with my sword here, this castle will be rubble in a few minutes" phenomena
3. Archers will hit for 1 damage and at greater distance, and occasionally score an instant kill (that's looking like it's going to be hard to balance =/)
4. Unit collision size is drastically reduced to let your armies fight shoulder to shoulder.
5. Unit speed is greatly reduced so when you commit to a battle you really commit, and so that you have time to prepare your base when your outer defenses are suddenly crushed.
-Hero stats are changed to Valor, Tactics, and Ingenuity.
-Valor gives HP, Tactics give attack speed, and Ingenuity gives Mana (i bet you can figure out which new ability was derived from which old one:p)
-There are multiple hero types (not just combat) that will gain experience in different ways:
1. Officers are simply elite versions of the soldiers you will build. I'm looking into a trigger to create them randomly as you build your normal troops [Gain experience by being struck in combat]
2. Master Architects are builders, i haven't decided whether or not they will be the only builders or not yet. [Gain experience primarily by building, and secondarily by repairing structures back to full health]
3. Merchants [Not fully developed as of yet]
4. Political leaders that will aid in worker speed and production rate while in their base, and will enrage enemy armies into fighting with reckless abandon with their presence and inspiring the troops. [For other info see description for Merchants]

-Long games, i'm currently trying to figure out how to shorten them without sacrificing too much of the fun (or what i think is fun) because i don't think people really have 3 hours that they could spend playing this game very often.
-Unique races all hand-tailored by myself.
-As many as 8 tiers of town centers
-Empire building, outposts and colonies will be useful and necessary for expansion! And with buildings being more durable, an outpost wont just be easily walked over by a strong patrol
-Roads that increase speed by 500% <-(subject to change :p) when walked over to aid in the infrastructure of your empire
-Hidden forest paths and neutral towns, with trees that are simply cover, so ambushing becomes a devastatingly useful tactic!
-possibly red-wood (or satisfyingly larger) sized forests.
-Playing in teams of two with each team being unique:
1. Different Races
2. Different trading policies- some alliances can trade while other can't
3. One alliance actually has unchangeable FULL shared unit control, which forces the team to work together.

-And lots more fun stuff. I'm sure no one really wanted to see all that in this thread, so i'll apologize and go post it somewhere else when i'm done with more of it ;)

:infl_thumbs_up:

That's it

Level 32
Welcome to The Hive Workshop!

Outstanding introduction GloryBlade, clear: detailed and interesting!

Map Developmnt and Idea Factory should prove helpful for your project. The Hive includes many talented Warcraft III modders of all skill levels among its users. New members (especially friendly ones) are always welcome. Take a look around and enjoy your stay, may it be long and productive!

Some good places to start include:Searching the site using the above link always helps, you can learn a lot that way: just reading and learning is usually the best place to start, especially if one feels overwhelmed.

Likewise, the tutorials can really teach ALL of us a thing or two.

The chat room is cool: lots of people can answer questions there.
  • A few other tips that might help too:
    • Always search first! Did I already mention THAT? :grin:
    • When creating a new thread, make the title VERY specific: so the site's search engine (and we users) can easily understand just what the thread contains.
    • Post your new threads in the proper forum: read the descriptions of each one so that you know what to post there.
    • If all else fails, just send me a private message! I'll try to do whatever I can to help.

Level 7
Lol, Wow big intro. dude. Anyways welcome to the Hive, GloryBlade. The Hive is well your idea eggs crack open and reveal themselves to everyone and thats where it belongs, so have a fun time here and I hope your map your is good and may prosper in Bnet as well. :xxd:

Also I agree on your DotA theory. How can so much people play DotA for so long!??!? That game is really addictive!!! Bnet isn't meant for a game that a whole lot of people hate now but apparently more people like the game than hate it :witch_doc_sad:.

But really my point is Bnet is meant for sharing new and good maps/mods with other people and/or (mutual) friends. For that is where true things may show. All those no-lifes playing DotA every damn second will cost them their lives and the missed-out time of a lifetime with other maps on Bnet. You will never know how something is until you try it! (Off Topic:Do you think I should put my last sentence in my sig?) :spell_breaker:

Level 4
Thank you for the warm welcomes and advice Wolverabid and EmBeR_NaGa!

And no EmBeR_NaGa, i think a lot of people would be offended by you putting that sentence in your sig, so it's prob'ly best to leave it out :thumbs_up:. But i do agree with you that people that just play DoTa miss out on a lot. But if the other games aren't fun for them then who are we to judge- it just gets a little disconcerting when half of every game on the list of custom games is some version of DoTa or other... I hope my game can turn people around bit! :)

Level 7
Thank you for the warm welcomes and advice Wolverabid and EmBeR_NaGa!

And no EmBeR_NaGa, i think a lot of people would be offended by you putting that sentence in your sig, so it's prob'ly best to leave it out :thumbs_up:. But i do agree with you that people that just play DoTa miss out on a lot. But if the other games aren't fun for them then who are we to judge- it just gets a little disconcerting when half of every game on the list of custom games is some version of DoTa or other... I hope my game can turn people around bit! :)

Heh, thanks. Well it might just happen, it just MIGHT happen but its really slim I guess. :thumbs_up:

Level 4
Hello and welcome to the hive, lol Ember u crazy kid why would you do that? you might get hate E-mail, but in my opinion, so worth it just to tell those dota lovers what they should hear, or errr. . .read? lol and i shouldnt forget about GloryBlade, good luck on your map! i hope it turns out great, if you need any help, maybe we can help out each other? im moderate in map making, average in everything except storyline, for RPG's or anything that needs a story line, im the man for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.