• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Hello, everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello, everyone at Hive Workshop. I've been visiting this site for a while now, and found it to be quite resourceful. Hence, I decided to join in the forums to see what more is to be found and what I can offer in assistance (which is not that much, sorry. I'm not that knowledgeable in Warcraft 3 map editing yet.)

A little more about myself. Hm, I'm 18 years old, and I'm going on to my sophomore year in college. I absolutely love how video games/computer games have progressed so well in graphics and complexity. My major is computer science, though, so I end up spending hours and hours working/studying on programming languages. About my username... Well, I've started using "DesertStormX" as an identity starting about a year ago, while playing a game called Shattered Galaxy. I guess what inspired it was mainly because I was about to join one of the strongest (rumors at the time said it was THE strongest) regiment, and I felt I wanted to make a big impact/good impression. I've always found the military advancements of the First Gulf War (Operations Desert Storm, Desert Shield, etc.) was much greater than when World War II was fought. In any case, DesertStorm was already used by someone who discourteously doesn't play anymore, so I added an X at the end. Needless to say, many people started calling me Desert, Storm, or DSX, in that game. ^^;;

I've been introduced to Warcraft III about a year ago by my two friends who are studying in U.C. Berkeley. (No, I'm not in U.C. Berkeley yet, because I'm not as smart as they are :p) So, having been a newbie ever since I bought the Battle Chest, I finally took a thought into map editing. I hope I'll be able to get decently good at this, at what little time I can spare from my college life. Might impress my friends a little...? (From who I am and where I am in life, impressing people by looks and skills is a very important thing, in my personal opinion. ><)

Anyway, now that I'm here, I'm anxious to learn how to use all sorts of advanced map-making techniques and tools (got 3D Studio Max of my own, maybe I can get my little brothers into this ^^).

I hope my introduction hasn't put you all to sleep. Thanks for reading. :)

Level 32
Welcome to The Hive Workshop!

DesertStormX

The Hive includes many talented Warcraft III modders (map and resource editors) of all skill levels among its users. New members (especially intelligent, articulate ones) are always welcome. Take a look around and enjoy your stay, may it be long and productive!

Some good places to start include:Searching the site using the above link always helps, you can learn a lot that way: just reading and learning is usually the best place to start, especially if one feels overwhelmed.

Likewise, the tutorials can really teach ALL of us a thing or two.

The chat room is cool: lots of people can answer questions there.
  • A few other tips that might help too:
    • Always search first! Did I already mention THAT? :grin:
    • When creating a new thread, make the title VERY specific: so the site's search engine (and we users) can easily understand just what the thread contains.
    • Post your new threads in the proper forum: read the descriptions of each one so that you know what to post there.
    • If all else fails, just send me a private message! I'll try to do whatever I can to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.