• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[vJASS] Handle counter strange behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
recently I've encountered strange behavior with Handle Counter script which can be found here

for those who unfamiliar with the script:
the script main purpose is to display topmost free handle id from handle id stack which is usually a positive integer value,
commonly, if somehow the value displayed rises and rarely drop or return to its initial value,
we can assume that there is probably a handle leak happening, usually happen on triggered spells.

now, on the problem itself:
recently on testing my map (a simple spell showcase map),
I found that the handle counter value start to decrease steadily (from ~1800)
to the point it reaches negative value (about -1000) which is, to my understanding is impossible.
although it didn't crash the game or causes further problem, it keep bugging me for the possibility of crash or affecting gameplay somehow later if left unattended.

Things I've done:
1. I've check and assured that my map is not using any Destroy/Remove calls (timer, trigger, group, location, unit) to narrow the possibility of handle stack corruption case.
2. I have been using DebugI/O script to pinpoint the estimate event which triggers the declining value of handle counter, and still have no further findings.
3. I have tried disabling trigger partially with few combination to pinpoint the problematic trigger, and still have yet to find the estimate trigger.

I would like to know if anyone had encountered similar problem or has an answer or a clue of what might causes the declining handle counter value.

Status
Not open for further replies.