• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Greecian Foot-soldier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Well, this is not only my first model in quite some time, so it's a little blocky, though that was my intent as I mean for this to be imported into Warcraft at some point.

This is also the first texture I have *ever* made, so it's understandably cruddy. Suggestions, both on how to improve the model and on better techniques for texturing, would be much appreciated.

This is intended to be the base model of three separate units - a Greecian foot-soldier(essentially what the model is now), a Spartan Hoplite (a cape will be added, and it will be larger in-game), and a Spartan commander (replace the helmeted head with a bearded face). This is the first in what will hopefully become a complete line of warriors from ancient history.

greeciantf6.png

Level 3
As for being flat, well, he's wearing a rigid breastplate and is going to appear at about an eighth of the size you're currently looking at, so many of the lacking details won't be noticed.

I am aware that the skin needs work, which is why I posted here, hoping for suggestions.

Thank you for your comment. :)

Level 3
Smoothing of the model or the texture?

I can't help but think that smoothing the model will increase the polycount to something unfavourable for Warcraft.

Level 3
I was basing my presumptions on the fact that the standard Warcraft III models are somewhat blocky in detail. This has only a hundred and eighty-eight polies, though, so I suppose I have wiggle room.

For all the comments on the model, there's not much being said about the texture. I realize that the texture isn't very good, and I would very much like assistance with it; I find the process of making the texture, bringing it to gmax, trying it out on the model, going back to Photoshop, fixing it up, trying it on again to be far too circuitous and inefficient for my tastes. I get frustrated in the middle of that process and give up, which is why I ended up with a poor texture. I feel that there must be a better way to do all this, but if there is, I don't know it.

Level 12
Ok since you wanted feedback...

The skirt thing that they where doesn't look like a skirt on him.... it kinda looks like bark.This may just be due to the color of it (brownish), maybe you should make it more purpleish-brugndy, or is it Team-colored. THat is my main complaint that hasn't been covered.

Level 3
It's meant to look like hardened leather, but your idea sounds good.

Speaking of team colouring . . . how do you set that up? Most games use a particular shade of some colour, but I don't know how to do that in Warcraft yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.