• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Gmax Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Sorry if this question has already been covered . So if i create a model in gmax how do i create a specific skin for that model. Can i do that in gmax or some other way. Thanks!

Level 17
Well you must first convert it to an editable mesh or poly then apply a skin modifier to the mesh you want. After that go click on "Add bones" button lower, and when you're done adding the bones click "Edit Envelopes". Hope this helps ! :)

Level 17
Forget the first post, I misread...basically you want to add material and texture to your model no ? Go to material editor and there the simplest way to add a texture is to click on the diffuse modifier, click on bitmap and select the image file you want. Drag and Drop the material to your model and click on "Show material in viewport".

Level 2
Gmax

K cool thanks for the reply.Also, lets say if I create a model in gmax and each shape/ part has their own color.I did not add no textures or skins just used set the shapes to the colors I wanted. I export the model to .mdl with a script file and then convert that to a .mdx. However, when I open the .mdx the model is all black. I read in other places you have to manually edit the .mdl file to show colors. Is there a way I can make the .mdx show colors it did in gmax? Or can i export the colors by creating a texture and apply to the .mdx? If so can you tell me the steps to do this? Thanks ! =)

Level 17
yeah well basically those colors that you set in gmax are just for gmax alone to help you see your model better. when you export you want to first make a texture with the colors and then apply it to the exported model. It's black cause it has no team color, no materials. hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.