• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gmax file to .mdl or .mdx ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Download the GMax modeling pack from: http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Tools&ID=29&sid=7409e7d15964e746b0d13e6d29dc9d13 After downloading you should open your GMax model, import DeX 0.185m script and run the it. Select the whole model, press print to listner button and you have to copy & paste the text by portions to notepad and save it as a XXX.mdl(where XXX is the file name).

Then run (download from http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Tools&ID=3&sid=7409e7d15964e746b0d13e6d29dc9d13 ) YobGul's War3 File Converter.

I didn't skin and add bones in GMax so I can say nothing about making UV maps and animtions in that program.

Goku-X said:
How do I export a Gmax model to be a file that can be used for wc3?? Or something convertable and perhaps a link to a descent converter...

You didn't need to ask a similar question in your other post. Use the script which I earlier mentioned.

Level 2
File>save as>XXX.mdl. I am pretty sure you woul djust type XXX.mdl and it would save it as that. But I am unsure and probably wrong.

Level 3
I'm not a moron. Here is what happens
I copy it over to an open notepad and save it by
going to file>save as then I type XXX.MDL and save it. (I already know its not going to work becouse the dropdown menu under it labled "Save as:" is set to .txt the only 2 chosed avalible is *.txt and *All files. But sence im a moron apariently I do it any way)

then I check what the file is by going to its properties. its named "XXX.MDL.txt" Go figure!

Level 3
Ok what your saying is to export a Gmax model using the wc3viewer then convert it to mdl with that then save it to a notpad? I dont think I understand you.

The goal is to get a model made on gmax to be a mdl so it can be used on wc3.

Level 5
No!
Extract any normal Warcraft 3 model using War3 viewer that's in a .mdx, then convert it to a .mdl format using War3 file converter.
Open the .mdl file with notepad. Then, delete it's contents, then copy the gmax script into that empty .mdl document....

Level 3
Oh I see now.
*Trys it out*
Hey, it works!

But im having a slight problem.
After converting all the parts to a mech, how do i set a skin to it that will show up in the WE? The model already has a skin by going to Utilitys> Asset Browser> click and drag. But it does not convert over. Yes, I imported the skin and the model.

Status
Not open for further replies.