• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Gathering Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey guys, novice mapper here, trying to make a spell that's based on channel, here's my the spell description:

Gathering Storm: Channels mana into a powerful storm, draining 30% mana per second, creating storm clouds. For each 30% of mana consumed 4 nearby enemies are struck with a chain lightning that bounces up to 6 times.

I seem to be unable to create a functioning system that creates dummy units/stop channel and executes the casts of chain lightning. Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do?

First is how many Units are able to do that at the same time.
If only 1 than it becomes alot easier. Than you don't need to use hashtables/Unit Indexer and don't even need that group -> you only save the Caster and the Spent Mana.

I assume any.

Object Editor:
Your Dummie Units should have 0 Casting time.
Each Chain lightning excecution needs a own Dummie, cause of Chain Lightning disables it casting while bouncing, best create a new for each Lightning.

You need 2 Triggers for that.
  1. Trigger: On Effect of Spell
    • Here you enable the Periodic Trigger
    • Add your Hero to a Group or Unit-Array.
    • Save/Reset Spent Mana on this Spell with 0, .
      • If you choose Group then use either Hashtable or a Unit Indexer to save data according to a Unit
      • Unit Indexer by Bribe
  2. Periodic: Frequenz more than 3 times a second
    • Loop Group/Stack
    • Check IsChanelling; best check for currents Order
    • Drain Mana
      • If not enough kick out of Group/Stack and skip remaing Action
    • Save Spent Mana Counter
    • Check Chain Lightning Spawn.
    • Create new Dummy for Dude and shot a lightning to random foe around.
    • Disable Periodic if no Unit is in the Stack/Group anymore.

Last edited:
One Per player?
-> Than you can make the Variables Array-based and access them with "Number of Player".
This Group Hashtable stuff is only needed if any amount of Units is able to do this Spell.

Mostly just one, would I need to add another trigger for the discharge (chain lightning casts)?
No you do the Chain Lightning inside the Periodic Trigger ( i guess its the base Lightning).
You Drain Mana.
Check if Mana Counter reached this 30% Limited.
Yes
  • create 4 Dummies each casting a Chain Lightning on a near Foe.
  • Reset the Mana Counter
No
  • Count up the Mana Counter

Level 11
Hey guys, novice mapper here, trying to make a spell that's based on channel, here's my the spell description:

Gathering Storm: Channels mana into a powerful storm, draining 30% mana per second, creating storm clouds. For each 30% of mana consumed 4 nearby enemies are struck with a chain lightning that bounces up to 6 times.

I seem to be unable to create a functioning system that creates dummy units/stop channel and executes the casts of chain lightning. Can anyone help me figure out what I need to do?

And again... ENJOY: THIS SPELL HAS AWESOME LOOKING
P.S. The template uses GDD System.
P.S.S The ability will interrupted if the caster doesn't have enough mana to do it (required percent of mana is also set in the triggers)

Attachments

• GATHERING STORM2.w3x
    28.1 KB · Views: 85
Status
Not open for further replies.