• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Galaxy Editor DnD Combat System and Block/Dodge Question - HELP ME pl0x<3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey all, I just recently started working with the map editor and it's a blast, but I've sort of hit a wall with an idea I'd like to implement, I'm not sure if you're familiar with Dungeons and Dragons 5e style combat, but basically....

Say you want to attack someone, they have an "Armor Class" (AC) and you "Roll" for your attack.

From the DnD handbook "When you make an attack, your attack roll determines whether the attack hits or misses. To make an attack roll, roll a d20 and add the appropriate modifiers. If the total of the roll plus modifiers equals or exceeds the target’s Armor Class (AC), the attack hits. The AC of a character is determined at character creation, whereas the AC of a monster is in its stat block."

I would really like to implement a system similar to that, so let's say your Unit does 1-5 Damage, and the Creep has an AC of 3, when you attack the unit a dice roll or something is simulated, and if you roll 1-2 0 Damage is taken, but then if you roll the 3-5 It hits for whatever was rolled.

Note: I was thinking about also keeping the base armor system in the game, but here is my issue. I honestly am not familiar enough with DnD, I haven't played nearly enough to be an authority on the subject but I'm fairly sure, that your AC is basically your Armor, Dodge, etc.. all in one. A rouge could have a high AC from Attributes and Light Armor, where a warrior could be fully clad in heavy metal armor hence the high AC I supposed I could change the system a bit and incorporate a "Dodge-esque"
type system, and then when you actually are hit and would take damage, equipped armor would then kick in and give you say a 20% reduction on the damage

ALSO, I just had this idea as well and I know I should search first because honestly this might be a perfect start for what I need but also does anyone know of a way to incorporate a Blocking feature or Dodge Chance as well, I know these are sort of off topic but I think you can see how they're similar.. I think it just comes down to I need a way to make certain attacks do 0 damage to the unit when certain circumstances arise.

This is really all theory crafting at the moment, I'm only a few days into learning still and switched to Galaxy Editor from World Editor so I have a basic understanding of triggers, and am about to dive into the code, but I think I might not be the only one who would enjoy this system and would really appreciate any help or points in the right direction. :prazz:

EDIT: I may be wrong about the rolling a die equal to your damage, actually the way it would be is you roll a d20 (20 Sided die) To do an AC check to even see if the blow connects, THEN you roll lets say a 6 sided die for damage... I'll have to figure out a way to determine Unit AC's and how to factor if a hit lands before the damage actually. Sorry for any confusion, I'll link the page on the handbook so you can examine it and actually see whats going on, my explanations aren't exactly the best I feel, and as I said I'm not super familiar with DnD. =o

Dnd AC link - Armor Class | Pathfinder on Roll20 Compendium

WELP. That's actually pathfinder I think, another pen and paper rpg, so it's at least somewhat similar and still basically what I had in mind.... Lol I'm bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.