• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First spells & systems contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Contest Number 1
06/05/07
Spells
&
Systems

Introduction
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's first weekly spells & systems. The aim every week is to make spells that match the specification included below. To win you simply have to try your best to make the spell as complex, good looking and bug free as possible while not making it leak, be inefficient and lag. Since this is a weekly contest, no WIP (Work In Progress) is required but if you rip off another contestants map, you will be disqualified, and both map and spell will be scanned for thievery so do not bother trying to steal someone else's work.​

Task
This weeks task is to make an artillery spell. This spell basically has to deploy some kind of signal, wait a time and then barrage the area around the signal randomly with effects dealing damage or buffing (you can choose) enemies and allies. The units around the targeted area must have not a very low chance of being hit and not a 100% chance of being hit and the spell has to have at least 2 levels. The rest is up to you.​

Rules
  1. Do not copy others work.
  2. Do not base your spell on a already made spell in the spell section.
  3. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.
  4. Only 1 spell, no spell packs.
  5. Must follow the task requirements.
  6. Must be openable in normal WE, or a link has to be posted to where to download the enhanced editor without having to register.
  7. No using WEU
  8. Spell must be testable without modifying any triggers.
  9. Spell must be easy to test.
  10. Spell must be castable by any player.
  11. Spell must be castable more than once per game.

Rewards
The overall best made
  • 15 rep (depends on how many people take part)
  • A guarantee that the spell will be on the spell list.
  • An entry on the "Triggering hall of fame" (to be made).
If the spell is my favorite yet is not the overall best made.
  • A +rep from me (1-2 rep)
  • A guarantee that the spell will be on the spell list.

Closing day
14/05/07 16:00 (4:00 P.M.)
Spells submited latter will be ignored.​

Judging
Judging will be done by my self, but if it is a close tie, other moderators/admins will be called in to help choose.​

Entering
To enter, simply add a reply saying you will enter. That reply you will edit to match your WIP and to contain your finished spell once complete. No WIP is Required but you can still make some to show off. Do not reply more than once to make it easier to find who's taking part and who is not. Do not reply unless you wish to take part, only Administrators/Moderators may reply as much as they want about the contest (even if not entering).​

Help
You are allowed to ask for help on the spells & systems board (will not influence your chance of winning) but most of the spell has to be done by you but if you are taking part be carefull not to help other people (who are taking part) too much and/or give away too many ideas since then you might reduce your chance of winning (everyone may copy it). You are not allowed to joint make the spell (2 people on this site making 1 entry) but you are allowed to get help from friends and family members (if they are interested), this is to stop credit disbutes since only 1 account will be credited for winning.​

Good luck everyone, and may the best spell win!
I will not take part in this since it would be unfair to judge my own spell.

Last edited:
Level 40
"Nuclear launch detected!"

I'll be in if it's not illegal or something o_O

Edit: WIP, just gotta work out the evil bugs

(and I hope this classifies as "artillery")

DSG
Orignal idea, works fine and is fully multi instant castable. Seems to leak effects though causing onces screen to lag. Overall a great job.

Attachments

• PhoenixStrike.w3x
    33.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
One question, When you say must be openable in WE, are tools like WE helper or JassNewGen pack not allowed then?

Here's my spell then finnaly: View attachment Orbital Bombardment.w3x

DSG
Very good, cleave use of WE enhancements, a link would be nice to where to get the programs. I see no leaks and it does not lag at all. Also seems multinstantcstable and lags hardly at all. Implimenting is flawless except that you posted no link to the enhanced editor but that is not important. Nice code as well. Very nice.

Level 11
Cluster Bombs

OK, i think i'm in..

...At last, I had time and made the spell. It's called Cluster Bombs (big surprise :p). When a bomb reaches the ground, it explodes into 3 clusters that scatter around and deal damage.

DSG
Very nice, easy to import and modify. Also seems looks eye pleasing and is lag less. Multinstantcastable also makes this spell stand out.

Attachments

• ClusterBombs.w3x
    21 KB · Views: 117
Level 3
OK, i'm in. I hope this spell follows the rules...

DSG
Quite good, leakless and multinstantcastable. Bugs in multiplayer though with the timing but that is only minor.

Attachments

• Arcane Missile Storm.w3x
    26 KB · Views: 111
Level 4
I'm in ;3

Damn yesterday i forgot to upload it .

Will it be accepted ?
Thanks

(NTD- When i asked help in the forum , problem wasn't solved. I had to spend night to figure out that the timers "remove" the temp. target point , tnx aniway to purplepoot , wich tried to help )

[ UPDATED , fixed some last things ]
[ UPDATED AGAIN , fixed a damn bug that made me crash ( ! ) ]

DSG
Not bad, but leaks FAR too much. My game lagged in under 2 minutes and also it s non multinstant castable. Good effort but pales compaired to the other. But if you fixed the leaks, then it might be half decent.

Attachments

• Tiberium orbital Cannon.w3x
    43.8 KB · Views: 102
Level 4
Oh come on purplepoot for 3 minutes after deadline , just the time for writing "[ UPDATED AGAIN , fixed a damn bug that made me crash ( ! ) ]" and modifiying ;)

Also i never leak when i use it :'(

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It did leak, after casting it 80 times at the same area and waiting a while (to let all the effects were off) the screen suffered a noticable FPS reduction when moving over the area, and this happened no matter where I cast it and the FPS was higher before casting than when finishing casting at an area. I did has AA on 4x so it might have been a bug with AA causing effects not to be removed but I dought it. The FPS reduction also points towards something graphical being leaked since the area suffered lower FPS and not the spell being cast. Maybe a unit is not removed properly and a copy of the unit remains on the area or something?

Level 5
Ohh shoot. . .

I knew there was a reason I was making an ability. . . I completly forgot about this. . . I almost finished it. . . though it wasnt MUI, though Im sure I could change that. . .and I had problems with Random targeting (well it is random, but not how I want it. . .) I'll post it up some where when/if I finish it. . . I think it stood a good chance aswell. . .

Level 4
Well , i used only GUI because i don't know JASS , also i made it in 2 days ( and spent almost one entire night ) . Sorry if it leaks too much to you and it isn't multi-instanceable , but if id know JASS , i would gladly do it .

I put much effort in it , and i think it's very cool , interesting and a totally new idea .

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Congratulations!!!

Congratulations to "Diablo-dk" who is the winner of this contest.

His spell is very good and by far amazed me for its complexity and easy functioning. He will receive his rep soon and please submit the spell in the the spell sections after making any fine tunning you wish. A HoF (hall of fame) will be set up soon and so you are also the first user on it.

Another contest will be set up soon, but untill then feel free do talk about the entries and your own complaints about each spell.

Level 32
Congratulations!!!

Congratulations to "Diablo-dk" who is the winner of this contest.
Congrats Diablo-dk!

DSG:

1. Reputation award: Go ahead and add to Diablo-dk's reputation using your own means. Inform me of the required ballance and I will then make that adjustment using my own.

2. "Triggering hall of fame" What do you have in mind for this, a sticky thread? Let me know what I can do to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.