• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Filters Unallowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I'm a map maker and not a skinner/icon maker/ art maker or whatever, I have a small question about it.

Are filters unallowed or frowned upon? I've recently heard the word "filters" before. I don't think I entirely know what it means, but I think I have an idea. :emote_smile:

Thank you!

P.S. Not that I have done it before, but is pirating skins against the rules? Just wondering for no apparent reason. :p

Level 45
"but is pirating skins against the rules"

pirating ? Stealing? Yes. VERY. I frown upon both major cnp,filter,dodge,burn,smudge and tube work.

If you want to skin, you manually do it by freehand using brushes manually.

Filters are when you apply a form of layer to change the outlook of something, eg Wood Texture or Sandstone or Water or Gloop filter. They are bad, they give out a horrible output and many people do not know how to use them properly and the filters purpose was for graphical work, not artwork.

Tubes are pictures of leafs and flowers or blops of animals.

Cnp is just copy and pasting off other things, whether it be off peoples work or photos.

Dodge tool is when you apply a horrible light scar or light burn. People think you shade by doing that but they are wrong.

Burn is the opposite of dodge, it burns horrible shading into things, people too think thats how you shade dark colours but they TOO are wrong.

Smudge, people think thats how you blend and mix things, no..you don't..its horrible..it gives an obvious and messy result and only 1/100 people know how to actually use it properly.

As for smudge,burn and dodge, don't use them when your starting out, mainly advanced..and i mean VERY advanced people can control them properly and for the right purposes.

Level 5
"but is pirating skins against the rules"

pirating ? Stealing? Yes. VERY. I frown upon both major cnp,filter,dodge,burn,smudge and tube work.

If you want to skin, you manually do it by freehand using brushes manually.

Filters are when you apply a form of layer to change the outlook of something, eg Wood Texture or Sandstone or Water or Gloop filter. They are bad, they give out a horrible output and many people do not know how to use them properly and the filters purpose was for graphical work, not artwork.

Tubes are pictures of leafs and flowers or blops of animals.

Cnp is just copy and pasting off other things, whether it be off peoples work or photos.

Dodge tool is when you apply a horrible light scar or light burn. People think you shade by doing that but they are wrong.

Burn is the opposite of dodge, it burns horrible shading into things, people too think thats how you shade dark colours but they TOO are wrong.

Smudge, people think thats how you blend and mix things, no..you don't..its horrible..it gives an obvious and messy result and only 1/100 people know how to actually use it properly.

As for smudge,burn and dodge, don't use them when your starting out, mainly advanced..and i mean VERY advanced people can control them properly and for the right purposes.

Hmmmm... I haveta say I disagree with you on a few things here, and agree with some too....

-It can look good IF they know how to use it, if they are noobs and just set it too 100% then of course its gonna look crap, but, with the right strength and a few other changes(Shadow, Highlight, Midtones, flow), it can look ok.

-Again, in the right hands it is a good tool, once you change the settings, (strength, Shadow, Highlight, Midtones, flow) it can look good.

-Smudge by itself, does indeed look crap. But I use a 'zig-zag' motion with it and it normally comes out ok, if it looks strong use the blur tool to carefully
edit it.

-I agree totaly with you on this, until you know how to use them, dont use them on models, just keep practicing and learn what settings do what

Status
Not open for further replies.