1. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice

Filters Unallowed

Discussion in 'Texturing & Surfacing' started by PurgeandFire, Apr 27, 2007.

1. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Though I'm a map maker and not a skinner/icon maker/ art maker or whatever, I have a small question about it.

Are filters unallowed or frowned upon? I've recently heard the word "filters" before. I don't think I entirely know what it means, but I think I have an idea. :emote_smile:

Thank you!

P.S. Not that I have done it before, but is pirating skins against the rules? Just wondering for no apparent reason. :p

2. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    "but is pirating skins against the rules"

pirating ? Stealing? Yes. VERY. I frown upon both major cnp,filter,dodge,burn,smudge and tube work.

If you want to skin, you manually do it by freehand using brushes manually.

Filters are when you apply a form of layer to change the outlook of something, eg Wood Texture or Sandstone or Water or Gloop filter. They are bad, they give out a horrible output and many people do not know how to use them properly and the filters purpose was for graphical work, not artwork.

Tubes are pictures of leafs and flowers or blops of animals.

Cnp is just copy and pasting off other things, whether it be off peoples work or photos.

Dodge tool is when you apply a horrible light scar or light burn. People think you shade by doing that but they are wrong.

Burn is the opposite of dodge, it burns horrible shading into things, people too think thats how you shade dark colours but they TOO are wrong.

Smudge, people think thats how you blend and mix things, no..you don't..its horrible..it gives an obvious and messy result and only 1/100 people know how to actually use it properly.

As for smudge,burn and dodge, don't use them when your starting out, mainly advanced..and i mean VERY advanced people can control them properly and for the right purposes.

3. Daminon

Daminon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Then I must ask why does evey tutorial use those tools? Everywhere you see that smudge is 'teh tool'. It's like "paint this blah blah, and now smudge everything".

4. Jacek

Jacek

Resources:
    Resources:
    SHUT UP Daminon! Your god TDR said to NOT USE SMUDGE

5. Daminon

Daminon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Uh... I'm just wondering.

6. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    My advice is not to, its because smudge is the "easy way out" and so called "quicker" and its often shown by either people that don't know how to use it or the people that do.

Ever since i stopped smudge, i advanced pretty well i think, aswell as Afro,Falco,Nirvana and Denu.

7. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  8. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Trust me, Afro would agree that hes tut sucks, and the insomnia tuts are old, im VERY sure the artists don't use smudge much anymore or ...well..some i know just stopped art/texturing completely :{

9. Daminon

Daminon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm a bit curious, how do you make those nice smoke or flame effects on free hand. :>

10. Denu

Denu

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Back when my skins were dodged/burned I had little or no control of the end product and how they turned out was... completely utterly and totally atrocious. Haven't touched the stuff since.

11. PurgeandFire

PurgeandFire

Code Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Thanx for the help. :)

12. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    huh? freehand with what? Tablet or ..as in painting? On the skin?

and im happy about Denu :emote_love:

13. Daminon

Daminon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Brush only.

14. NiRVaNa_87

NiRVaNa_87

Resources:
    Resources:
    TDR posted a video (here) where he makes a texture the EXACT same way that he did that "useless" blob.

15. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, I saw that.

If it would be avalaible to the public, maybe :thumbs_down:

16. THE_END

THE_END

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes smudge is bad
    But I will not tell a lie
    I do use it..:p

17. Red Orca

Red Orca

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmmmm... I haveta say I disagree with you on a few things here, and agree with some too....

-It can look good IF they know how to use it, if they are noobs and just set it too 100% then of course its gonna look crap, but, with the right strength and a few other changes(Shadow, Highlight, Midtones, flow), it can look ok.

-Again, in the right hands it is a good tool, once you change the settings, (strength, Shadow, Highlight, Midtones, flow) it can look good.

-Smudge by itself, does indeed look crap. But I use a 'zig-zag' motion with it and it normally comes out ok, if it looks strong use the blur tool to carefully
    edit it.

-I agree totaly with you on this, until you know how to use them, dont use them on models, just keep practicing and learn what settings do what