• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Fatal error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Well.. i guess there may be more than one topic of this.

I am editing a map, since long ago, but in recent versions, i increased the size of the map and edit many functions to optimize it. I edited the map with WE, but there is a huge problem: Fatal errors. I know that they are memory leaks, but.. anyone knows what may cause them? i guess its a little too difficult to make mistakes triggering in WE, so i wanted to know if someone knows if there are posible triggers or events that may cause fatal errors.

I would really appreciate your answers :)

Level 11
There are far too many reasons a fatal error can occur to "Shoot in the dark".

Do a binary search for malfunctioning triggers: Disable half your triggers, if the map still crashes, you know its one of the still enabled triggers causing the issue. Continue cutting it in half until there are only a few left, then try 1 at a time until you find the problematic trigger(s).

There are reasons that a map can crash that do not have to do with triggers, however when debugging, you should look at triggers first.

Also note that it may be beneficial for you to get the JASS NewGen pack, which allows you to start WC3 with War3Err (a runtime script debugger) from the test map button in World Edit. War3err can be invaluable in diagnosing a crash issue.

Level 2
There are far too many reasons a fatal error can occur to "Shoot in the dark".

Do a binary search for malfunctioning triggers: Disable half your triggers, if the map still crashes, you know its one of the still enabled triggers causing the issue. Continue cutting it in half until there are only a few left, then try 1 at a time until you find the problematic trigger(s).

There are reasons that a map can crash that do not have to do with triggers, however when debugging, you should look at triggers first.

Also note that it may be beneficial for you to get the JASS NewGen pack, which allows you to start WC3 with War3Err (a runtime script debugger) from the test map button in World Edit. War3err can be invaluable in diagnosing a crash issue.

Thanks!

Well.. the problem with fatal error doesnt happens all the time. Sometimes, sometimes it gets fatal error to some players, and sometimes to others.

I dont think i can try disabling triggers :( sometimes it takes like an hour of play to get a fatal error, and others dont.

I will try the JASS NewGenPack and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.