• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Exclamation points!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I was wondering how to make a specific unit have an exclamation point above their head, like they wanted to talk to you. I know how to do it trigger wise.. But what ability do I use? I tried a few and they didn't work.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well, you could attach it to an item in their inventory.

If you must use abilities then you simply have to base if off an aura like endurance aura. Change the effected units so no one is effected by it (no buffs) and then the base aura effect to the exclimation make and attachment point from origan to head or was it overhead.

Level 5
The easiest way is to give them the flag bearer ability (under abilities: "Item Capture the flag"), set the attachement point to "Head", then change the art model to extra: "exclamation mark".

Then to add/remove it, just trigger it so that under the respective action section, you just do: "Unit - add ability" or "unit - remove ability" when you trigger/complete the quest.

Level 4
Damnit. I've tried both ways, and they don't work. Here's my code. Is it right?

• Unit - Add exclamation to Helpless villager (Empathy Island) 0015 <gen>
The unit is not assigned a variable, and is Neutral Hostile. Does that make a difference? (It's an NPC).

VestriDeus, I've done exactly what you said in the Object editor. :/

Level 4
I'm using the model built into Warcraft 3. Villager (Male 2). And I need to use triggers, because I've placed several of the same villager all around the island, but only one of them is going to have the exclamation point. And I want it to be able to appear and dissappear based on what stage of the quest you're on. Is that possible?

Level 12
I simply use SFX with variables assigned to them... Items and abilities are merely complications.
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect at the overhead of (Unit) using (Model File)
  • Set sfx = (Last Created Special Effect)

Status
Not open for further replies.