• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Enemy Units in TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello there. I've started to make my first map, a TD, and have run into a problem. When the enemy units spawn, they do not travel to each region of the map. In fact they just show hostility and want to destroy the players units. I've gotten through the spawning part of the below tutorial. Any help and tips are apprectiated, thanks.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1322

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
You need to order them to move, You should do something like this:
[trigger:1:82ebb999ea]StartMovement
Events
Conditions
Actions
Unit - Create 40 Footman for Player 1 (Red) at (Center of MoveA <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in MoveA <gen> owned by Player 12 (Brown)) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit Group - Add (Picked unit) to SpawnA_Group
Unit - Order (Picked unit) to Move To (Center of MoveB <gen>)
[/trigger:1:82ebb999ea]
[trigger:1:82ebb999ea]MovementB
Events
Unit - A unit enters MoveB <gen>
Conditions
(Owner of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Player 12 (Brown)
Actions
Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Move To (Center of MoveC <gen>)
[/trigger:1:82ebb999ea]

Level 12
Also it would be a good idea o give them no aquisition range so that way they do not seek out towers unless there is a blockage in their pathway.

Level 36
you mean...like giving them melee range right? Further explain as even though my spawns move alright, ocassionally the yellow spawns will travel to the bottom where trhey should divide to go to purple and orange, but sometimes (especially if yellow has a building in the centre area there) they will go back up and attack it, which causes major server splits.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
brad.dude03 said:
you mean...like giving them melee range right? Further explain as even though my spawns move alright, ocassionally the yellow spawns will travel to the bottom where trhey should divide to go to purple and orange, but sometimes (especially if yellow has a building in the centre area there) they will go back up and attack it, which causes major server splits.
Melee Range AND Acquisition Range.. Acquisition Range is the range where the unit will start moving towards another unit to attack.

Level 2
I think I've got it working correctly now. It is taking me a while to locate all of the actions/conditions/events for each trigger, but that is part of getting familiar the program. Thanks a lot for the help, I'm sure I'll be asking for more help later on!

Level 2
Here I am, back already with another question. :D Ive gotten the units to move from point to point just fine, but is there a way to make them follow a straight line? They basically cut corners and take the quickest possible route to the next region which of course makes sense. I'm sure there is a way to do it, I just don't know how.

Ive got another question about the waves too. Is there an easy way to duplicate the triggers of each wave for each player? In my case there are 8 players. I'm hoping I dont need to re-create each individual trigger for every player. Thanks again!

Level 36
well, i can help you with the corner cutting thing. the only way to decrease on that is to up the pathing regions. the more regions you are sending them too, the more accurately the creeps will follow the path. don't over do on it, that will make you have to do loads of triggers sending them from path to path, but have enough so that it solves your problems.

Level 2
I messed around with the regions, and I was able to make it a lot better. Thanks. Now could someone explain to me in more detail how to sell a tower? The explanation in that tutorial confused me a bit, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.