• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Detecting cliff level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey,

Is there a way to detect cliff levels, so that basically my items spawn in a random point on the map, when the cliff level is 0, so that they will never spawn on cliffs? I found the integer-comparison for cliff levels, the problem now is that I dont know how to make a detailed condition for the whole region.

• Points 1 Cave
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.35 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet IntegerVariable = 0
      • Item - Pick every item in Cave Spawn <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
                • Conditions
                  • (Item-type of (Picked item)) Equal to 1 Point
                  • (Item-type of (Picked item)) Equal to |cffffff002 Points|r
                  • (Item-type of (Picked item)) Equal to |cff00ffff3 Points|r
            • Then - Actions
              • Set VariableSet IntegerVariable = (IntegerVariable + 1)
            • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • IntegerVariable Less than 300
        • Then - Actions
          • Set VariableSet ItemSpawnCave = (Random point in Cave Spawn <gen>)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Terrain cliff level at ItemSpawnCave) Equal to 0
            • Then - Actions
              • Item - Create SpawnedItems[(Random integer number between 1 and 3)] at ItemSpawnCave
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation (udg_ItemSpawnCave)
            • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions

The problem is it detects the whole region, which has cliffs, and therefore the condition is not fullfilled. I want it to basically spawn items "between" the cliffs/everywhere where no cliff is. If there is a simple solution for this I'd be glad to hear it. If it gets to complicated I guess Ill just scrap the idea, its not that important ^^

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
It shouldn't be detecting the whole region. It's detecting the cliff level at ItemSpawnCave, which is a random point in the region.

Also, you need to move:
To outside and below your If Then Else. Otherwise, if the cliff level is not equal to 0 it will remain forever and leak.

I recommend creating a text message that displays the Cliff level at ItemSpawnCave. This way you can tell what Cliff level it is.

Level 7
It shouldn't be detecting the whole region. It's detecting the cliff level at ItemSpawnCave, which is a random point in the region.

Also, you need to move:
To outside and below your If Then Else. Otherwise, if the cliff level is not equal to 0 it will remain forever and leak.

I recommend creating a text message that displays the Cliff level at ItemSpawnCave. This way you can tell what Cliff level it is.

Thanks for the advice. Anyways it unfortunately doesnt spawn any items :thinking: And how do I go about creating text displaying the cliff levels?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Well, what is the terrain cliff level displaying? Do you see any 0's?

Also, I had an idea. What if you created ~4 "safe" regions inside the Cave Spawn region. These new regions wouldn't have any cliffs in them. Then when you create an Item at an "unsafe" point (on a cliff), you move the Item to a random point in one of these "safe" regions. This way you guarantee that an Item will always be created.

Level 7
Well, what is the terrain cliff level displaying? Do you see any 0's?

Also, I had an idea. What if you created ~4 "safe" regions inside the Cave region. These regions wouldn't have any cliffs in them. Then when you create an Item at an "unsafe" point (on a cliff), you move it to a random point in one of these "safe" regions. This way you guarantee that an Item will always be created.

Sorry, my bad : how do I go about creating text displaying the cliff levels? I have no clue :c

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Sorry, my bad : how do I go about creating text displaying the cliff levels? I have no clue :c
  • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String((Terrain cliff level at ItemSpawnCave)))
It's under Conversion - Convert Integer to String. Then look for Environment - Terrain Cliff Level.

I think it's safe to assume that 0 is not the ground level.

Level 7
  • Game - Display to (All players) for 30.00 seconds the text: (String((Terrain cliff level at ItemSpawnCave)))
It's under Conversion - Convert Integer to String. Then look for Environment - Terrain Cliff Level.

Thanks! Ill have a look

Level 7

I think it's safe to assume that 0 is not the ground level.

It always displays 2's! Interesting, I thought only the level 2 cliffs I made are cliff level 2 (logically) but it seems like the generel cliff level i for the whole region is 2. Now it works fine. :) Just changed the number to 2!

Last edited:
Level 5
On creation of your map you can choose a start cliff level. Default is 2.
cliff.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.