• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Detect the "real triggering" player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
So if full shared unit control is on, and i cast with the unit of an ally, he is detected the triggering player, even though i cast-ed it..

Maybe there is another approach...

Well in this scenario i want to disable computer players from casting an ability, however the ability should still be available for human players..

So in this example players can give financial aid, by buying gold crates at the main building, and bring them over to the allied players main building..

I did this via a dummy summon ability, when cast the triggering player spends gold, and if he has enough money the dummy unit is replaced with a gold crate item.

PC players obviously have no idea that this ability won't summon them a water elemental, and spam it like crazy..

Level 26
Why do you have to share control with cpu players? If there is an occasion when the unit should be ordered automatically to cast the ability, then realize this behavior via triggers. Also from your description there is no reason to use 'Water Elemental' as base ability, simply use 'Channel' or anything that has no AI attached.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
In SC2 this is exactly what triggering player does, to the extent that a lot of maps have broken shared control. This means that in SC2 casting an ability of an ally using shared control will return you as the triggering player.

In WC3 it is limited to the owner of the casting unit, for better or worse.

Level 8
well its all good using channel abilities, but i got a problem.

See in this example i want that the unit is "stopped" from casting "gold crate" when the triggering player hasn't got enough gold, however it seems that "channel" spells can't be stopped.... they just cast it even though i stopped them. And i also "sell" some other items via dummy abilities inside the spell book, that have a cool down, so removing and adding the ability won't solve it then. I mean its really messy to replace spells inside a spell book in order to rest a individual cool down..

Only checking when the effect triggers, the cool down is then inevitable..

Status
Not open for further replies.