• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Custom Spell Causes Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
First of all, Im not very active on hive and this takes away my first post virginity.
Secondly, my trigger knowledge is very limited, so pls give simple answers.

Main Problem - The game crashes when I cast 2 specific spells at the same time.

wEXoesqVQo6_-8C58FgLXw.png

Other Problem (not important) - Spell lasts longer than given in trigger.

Spells - The first one is a morph spell called Lightning Orb that transforms the caster into a Lightning Orb for 5 sec with a custom Phoenix Fire spell (since its impossible to set lighting effects as missile for phoenix fire, I had to trigger the whole spell). The problem here is the duration of the effect is much longer than the one set in the trigger (it doesnt crash here). I think the cause has something to do with the Metamorph spell cuz when I change the base spell (Metamorphosis) to Storm Bolt the duration is good.

ck6iEqq.png

The second spell is a target point summon, with some triggers giving it buffs and special effects, the spell works fine and has nothing to do with the first spell.

R21x8dB.png

Is it leaks? I tried my best to fix them.

Any response is appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

EDIT: made triggers slightly more efficient

Attachments

• Arena [reborn] [test-2] [hive].w3x
    456 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The way the trigger logic is structured means it is possible to destroy a non-existent lighting object, or a lightning object that has already been destroyed. Possibly the native lacks safety checks for this case and so does some really bad and undesirable stuff that can lead to a crash. One could prevent this by testing if the lightning variable is null, and only if not then destroying the lightning and nulling the variable (as destroying something does not automatically null all variables it was assigned to).

Level 4
The way the trigger logic is structured means it is possible to destroy a non-existent lighting object, or a lightning object that has already been destroyed. Possibly the native lacks safety checks for this case and so does some really bad and undesirable stuff that can lead to a crash. One could prevent this by testing if the lightning variable is null, and only if not then destroying the lightning and nulling the variable (as destroying something does not automatically null all variables it was assigned to).
Tried that, now Im using a repeating timer that kills the lighting effect, but still crashes. :(
Thank you for your suggestion anyway, any other possible ideas in mind guys? Cuz I totally have no clue what to do..

Status
Not open for further replies.