• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Model Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hello! Me again!
I have two questions about custom models with the world editor, not about importing but about some issues they seem to have.

1. Sometimes when I import a custom model and place the unit I make with it when I save and reload world edit, it crashes on unit load, after removing the model via MPQ I can load with no problem.
For example, I am trying to use the Crossbowman model from this pack: Kul Tiras Forces (CSW)
However, upon placing a crossbowman and reopening the world editor I crash when I get to units loading. (Placing the unit on the map before I save and re-open works just fine)

If I open a fresh map and import this model and place it, the map seems to reload in world edit just fine, so I really am unsure of the problem, or if this is even a common issue.

(PS: There isn't even a crash window, world edit just closes)

2. Some models are not clickable in world edit to drag around. This could just be a world edit bug and it's not that big of a deal but I couldn't find any details when running different searches on the site and figured I'd ask.
An example I see this with: Gallows

Thank you ahead of time.

Last edited:
Level 3
So upon further digging with problem #1 it seems like any model that is broken down into the 4 imports:
  • MDX File
  • Diffuse dds file
  • ORM dds file
  • Normal dds file

This problem seems to arise, so maybe I'm doing something wrong with those, I follow the instructions and it just doesn't seem to want to work, any advice on that front would be appreciated!

Level 3
Bumping this again, it looks like when I try to load and it fails I find this in the errors folder:

Code:
<Exception.Summary:>
ACCESS_VIOLATION DBG-OPTIONS<FunctionsOnly SingleLine> DBG-ADDR<00007FF6D60D6B68>("World Editor.exe") <- DBG-ADDR<00007FF6D60DCD34>("World Editor.exe") <- DBG-ADDR<00007FF6D60DCA2E>("World Editor.exe")  DBG-OPTIONS<>
<:Exception.Summary>
I'm unsure if this is directly related to the models, but this seems to be what happens.
At this point any model that isn't just a .mdx at this point breaks world edit for me if I place it in the map.
Still not sure how to approach this.

Level 3
If anyone stumbles upon this themselves in the future, sadly I have not found a solution.
Instead, I've decided to scrap world edit together and simply build the map programmatically since most of the map was already run by my codebase.

Since I'm able to import these models just fine, and create custom units with them, even place them in world edit to make sure they're okay (so long as I don't save and close world edit) I don't need to worry about manually placing them down. This will also help in multiple other ways.

Sorry, I couldn't find a solution to this problem, maybe it will be patched in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.