• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom item mana cost still 100 instead of 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
K, this is really weird. I made a custom item using "Kelen's Dagger of somthing" as base item. I changed mana cost to 0 but it still needs 100 mana to be used.
I changed the (item)abillity to a custom one. That one has no mana cost eigther. I also changed the cooldown group (whatever that is) to same abillity.

Well, let me explain why I need such an item.
I'm making an FPS (well, more a third person game) and the unit has got:
- a simple hero inventory
- extended (FullScreen) inventory (by DimonT and Illusor take a look at the spell section of this site)
- and an equipment inventory.
Actually, in-game, the unit is never selected. I made a building-version of it for the command interface. (the building's abillities' shortcuts are used for for example attacks or straft) Why a building? A building hasn't got move/stop/hold position buttons so more room for other buttons. This building has got a 'hero - inventory' abillity that is used for simple power-ups like health potion. But for weapons (cuz it's gonna be a kind of RPG aswell) you must equip them by doubble-clicking on them. But equipment inventory is anóther building. The doubble-clicking works great using this trigger (i need such an item because of the doubble-clicking, you knwo, a clickable item):

untitled.JPG

The 'mogrins report' is a nothing-doing item that represents: 'No primairy weapon'.
Anyways, that's not important. What really is weird, is that the item still needs 100 mana to be used. And what is that cooldown group thing?
Btw, if anyone has ever made an equipment system, please help me out.

Level 7
The cooldown thing is whether the item has a refresh animation or not afaik
If u choose cooldowngroup ability on an item that can cast frost nova u see how it recharge... i think u know it
So you have to choose the right group that fits your item
Mana cost can be edited in the object editor

Level 4
And I changed it to 0 in both item-editor and abillity-editor. But what kind of item should I use to make it clickable but not doing anything when its clicked on? (exept with triggers of course) And wich it doesn't need mana to be used.
Wait, look at the trigger above. See? The item must be clickable so you can doubble-click and equip. The trigger works fine, it's the item that still needs 100 mana.

Oh and there's another thing anoying me. When you copy-paste an abillity, change the copy completely and give both abillities to a unit, it's going to use both at the same time when you click one of them. And when ctrl-D in the object editor you see the code name for every abillity. It's for examle A600-roa for the first and A601-roa for the second. You see I used Roar as base abillity so perhaps its becuz of tha.

Level 7
use penguin squeek on an item, its the simplest way just change the sound to nothing

for items with mana cost just change the cost of the actual spell that the item uses

and yes, spells based off of each other will activate at the same time...kinda anoying yes, i don't play around with custom spells very much so i'm not an expert but you may try changing the activation/use strings -- but that might only have an influence on trigger related

and uhm...

i don't see anything about double click in that trigger

ok -- yes, you put -something- in there related to a second click...which i don't see the point... it will stop the person from double clicking within .3 of a second but the item doesn't need to be double clicked to equip it...a single click will wait .3 seconds and then equip it regardless of whether its been clicked again or not

Level 4
Raptor-- said:
use penguin squeek on an item, its the simplest way just change the sound to nothing
Thanks dude.

Raptor-- said:
for items with mana cost just change the cost of the actual spell that the item uses
That's what I did.

Raptor-- said:
try changing the activation/use strings -- but that might only have an influence on trigger related
No, doesn't change anything. You can check it with ctrl-D. The 'roa' or whatever else after the 'A600' will still be the same.

Raptor-- said:
ok -- yes, you put -something- in there related to a second click...which i don't see the point...
Well, you're right, FOR THE MOMENT! The trigger isn't finished yet. I want to add a function that will display information on the equipable item on first click. To equip the item you must doubble-click. Got it? But don't worry, I know how to do that.

Well, anyways, thanks for your help. I'll try the pinguin thing.

Level 4
Super! It works!
But still a problem: can't be dropped (doesn't show any message). You can right-click but it doesn't 'grab' the item.

Level 7
theres a field on the item that says "droppable" or something like that "is droppable", "can be dropped" i unno i don't have the editor open, but its something along those lines, set it to true

unless its "can't be dropped" then set it to false

well, you get the point, either way make the item droppable

Level 4
Did so but still undroppable. Well , perhaps it's 'can't be dropped' cuz set it to true. I'll take look at that.

PS: Thanks Raptor--, you've been a great help to me.

Edit: Checked it out and no, it's 'can be dropped' and set to true. So it's something else.

Level 4
GOOD NEWS:
I found the problem. For anyone who would ever get in the same sitiuation:
Do not make a trigger that will select the unit every 0.01 seconds, this selection will cause the item grabbed to be redropped in the inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.