• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Curious Resizing of an Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I've changed the border of some icons I downloaded from hive and it looks fine, but, when I placed it ingame, these icons seem to only show a quarter of the actual image and when I zoom in a little bit, it returns to normal.

222907-albums6224-picture83602.png

These are being used as a button in a full screen inventory so what you're looking at are actually destructibles.

So, can someone tell me what's going on?

BTW, I used button manager to add the borders.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You have messed up the mipmaps of the icon. Zooming alters the mipmap level which is why you are observing what you are.

You need to either...
1. Delete all mipmaps, having only the full scale image in the .blp.
2. Correctly generate all mipmap levels to reflect the real icon.

1 saves space while 2 can produce best quality results (noticeable? not sure...).

Well I have never seen this problem before so this is just an educated guess... I mean you would probably get the same results if the mipmaps were *2 per level instead of /2.

Level 23
you could use paint to modify the icons and then use the icon software to recreate them as icons.

Haha, No. Not what I'm looking for, sorry.

Does your destructibles scale anything ? Make sure all scales are set to 1.00

They're scaled to 0.75 (Min and max) to fit all of the icons into the camera. I'll see if that 0.25 difference in scaling will matter.

You have messed up the mipmaps of the icon. Zooming alters the mipmap level which is why you are observing what you are.

You need to either...
1. Delete all mipmaps, having only the full scale image in the .blp.
2. Correctly generate all mipmap levels to reflect the real icon.

1 saves space while 2 can produce best quality results (noticeable? not sure...).

Well I have never seen this problem before so this is just an educated guess... I mean you would probably get the same results if the mipmaps were *2 per level instead of /2.

I have no idea if I messed with the mipmaps or not. All I did was to download the icons from here, and then use BTNManager to add the borders. And, TBH, I have no idea how to do either of those two with icons. So I guess I'll have to experiment a little bit more.

Hmm.. Looks like it was the button manager doing that weird thing. Added the borders manually and everything went fine.

BTNManager does this thing on every icon I tried. Kinda weird.

Anyway, This can be marked as SOLVED

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.