• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Compression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Squizhing my map size down? hi guys i was always wondering can i like compress my map after a compression? and can i ask what is the best map size compression the hive have?

Level 16
Compression is a method used to usually decrease the quality and file size of a file. Your map can be
compressed and the files (imports) inside your map can also be compressed.

• A map optomizer will compress your map for you. Dont have a link sorry.

Last edited:
Level 16
I have downloaded the optimizer and it only saved like 20kb? wtf?! so i will try this :D

A map size without any imports is actually pretty small. Depending on how many triggers you have and the size of the map, it is likely to be something like 40-200KB. Since a map optimizer only optimizes the triggers in your map, it doesn't greatly impact on your map file size. It does not affect any of your imports.

The things that do crank up your map size is your imports. So you need to draw your attention to them.

Level 16
You arn't making much sense. When I talk about the size of your imports, I'm talking about all your models and stuff you have "Imported" into your map.

So what do you mean by "23, 332"? Is that KB's of all your models?

is that big?

Well there is no definition for "too big". If you want to play your map in multiplayer, the map must not be any larger than 8MB. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how big your map is. However, the bigger your map is, the longer it takes to download. Big downloads can get annoying.

Level 13
You arn't making much sense. When I talk about the size of your imports, I'm talking about all your models and stuff you have "Imported" into your map.

So what do you mean by "23, 332"? Is that KB's of all your models?

Well there is no definition for "too big". If you want to play your map in multiplayer, the map must not be any larger than 8MB. Otherwise, it doesn't matter how big your map is. However, the bigger your map is, the longer it takes to download. Big downloads can get annoying.

Yes its a kb... and i am creating a multiplayer map

Level 30
The best way you should have done, when you are starting your project is every imported file you put on your map you should have reduce their size by using some programs... for MDX, I think MDX squisher like that.... so when you finished your map it is in its lowest size possible. In your case, I suggest you to take effort to reduce the size of ALL of your imported file by removing, reduce and import each of your files in your map. Same process goes in each of the files in your map.

-Your friendly helper, Hell_Master :D

Status
Not open for further replies.