• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Can you select a unit with a doodad model?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hi there,

I can't select my unit with the 'Eye of Sargeras' doodad as the model. Is there a way to make it selectable? I don't have any experience with other programs like magos or something like that (I've seen that in other threads I've read). Is it possible at all to do within the editor?

Also, I have an understanding that you can't add special effects to units with doodad models. Is there any work around to add a special effect to my Eye of Sargeras that spawns when it is built and goes away when the building is destroyed?

Level 11
You can maybe try messing with the selection circle settings, but its best to recalculate the extensions/make collision shape.

In magos, open the model then go under edit, click calculate extensions, and that is it.

You could just spawn the sfx right there instead

Level 20
The standardized 'dummy.mdx' unit model can help you with this. It's just a unit with all the attachment points and no visible model you can attach an effect to and manipulate as a unit. It's generally found in a lot of spell packs on this site.

I just made a collision shape for the normal Warcraft III model. I'm not really sure how to do it for Reforged since Retera's model studio is for the moment the only software that can open Reforged .mdx files.

I guess it should be possible to just copy the collision shape, but I'm not sure. I can give it a try later.

Status
Not open for further replies.