• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNTrackerOrbOJ

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Closer usage: An orb with two eyes which can be used to track a single unit.

Guests' guessing: You all may think that it is a bomb rather than a tracker's orb. Yeah! It can be used as a bomb also. :D

Software(s) used:
  • Gimp

TrackerOrbOJ's versions:
  • TrackerOrb v0.1

245746-albums8220-picture99772.png

• TrackerOrb v0.2

245746-albums8220-picture99778.png

• Current TrackerOrbOJ

245746-albums8220-picture100877.jpeg

Credits:
Thanks to software(s) used:​
  • Gimp

Keywords:
Orb, mini-tracking device, vision, laser eyes, spinning ball, robotic sphere, spy, gaze, trap, villanous smile, hellfire grenade, bomb
Contents

BTNTrackerOrbOJ (Icon)

Reviews
02:03, 14th Aug 2015 Sin'dorei300: Commented.
Two things.

1. This seem like a rather simple icon. The time it must have taken to create this cannot be a lot.

2. You write:
oJ.r3verFailO said:
NOTE: This icon is still in progress! Any suggestions? Any required improvements? :)
If this icon is still in a work in progress why is it uploaded as a finished resource?
You should use fx. this forum: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/texturing-surfacing-274/ to post wip items and get suggestions.

It's obviously alright to update a resource several times but it should still be what you believe is a finished piece when uploading.

That being said!
This icon can still find its use, especially if you manage to add an actual eye in the middle as The Panda suggested (that would be awesome).

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

It is updated! :)

Many details are added! :)

Edited:
The Panda said:
Would be cool if there was an actual eye inside the red circle.

Actual eye? I will try to add that eye. :) (Oh my gawd! I add a green eye. :O It looks cartoonish... :( )

I'm Gimp newbie. :D

Thanks for your suggestion! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Looks much more better now!

The yellow glow is very distracting, maybe you could try to zoom in and remove it, focussing on the eye.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Ardenian said:
Looks much more better now!

The yellow glow is very distracting, maybe you could try to zoom in and remove it, focussing on the eye.

Focussing on the eye or the whole orb?

I have merged multiple layers. @.@

I will try my best! :)

It seems the eye is small...

I should keep layers, not merging them...
- - - - - - -
It looks like a poke-ball and XD face. lol Haha! XD

Is it appropriate for me to add a mouth decoration for that orb? It looks like a XD face. Yeah, maybe I can do that...

Edited:
Hmm... I get me wrong. The Panda said that it will be cool if "an" actual eye is added, not "another" eye. (I think it is another eye at that time... That comment appears before my icon is updated (it doesn't have any eye at that time). I suck!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yes, the whole orb, in my opinion, but focus on the eye. I think a glow is not necessary for now, since the orb is drawn in a very modern style.

Yeah, merging layers and forget to backup, yeah, I do know right.

Sure, why not. Drawing is a process and if you want to change something, then go ahead. It is your artwork :)

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Hmm... I think it is enough in adding more details.

It is finished.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Remixer said:
Sure it is colorful and all but what the ... is it?

Haha...! I'm not sure what it is in your view. :) Yeah...! As you can see, there is guests' guessing.

Remixer said:
It looks like some high-tech-ball-robot combination shooting laser beams and emitting some bluish rays around itself.

I tried to add those bluish rays to emphasize tracker's orb's self-rotating motion (it looks to be much static if bluish rays are not added I think).

Like i said a few times, it'd be ideal for an icon to be recognizable at first glance.
I don't understand what this is about.
A random thingy, with random details(barely visible) and with a distracting bg.
I want to emphasize that - not every random "creation" can become an icon.
And, as Solu stated, in the icon section we only upload finished icons, not WIPs.
If we want some feedback/advices regarding our artistic works, we have the Artist's Discussion forum.
So, i advise u to decide what u want to draw. Do ur "research" on that theme - to get an idea about how it could be, and then try to draw it.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Can I ask one question?

Does this icon meet the quality required?

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

How is this icon improved in order to become a better icon? I mean... Erhh... Are there more ways to improve it so that it will be better than the current quality.

How is this icon improved in order to become a better icon? I mean... Erhh... Are there more ways to improve it so that it will be better than the current quality.

Less is more.
You have added far too many details which is impossible to see what is.
The orb as you had it from the start was better than the current icon.

Try going back to the base icon and just add an eye. Simple as that, just add an eye.
On that topic. You seem to make very hard lines almost as you painted the icon in Paint. Use shadows and highlights, and use them correctly (read up on how to do that).
Lines almost always look really crappy when they are 100% hard and very childish. Use hardness around 50% as default and adjust when needed, when needed.