• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNIrondaggerUpdated

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is my first Icon and if you think theres a way to improve it then say it

*Updated*

*second update*
Added glow made the blade longer and recolored hilt (holt still looks unrealistic need help with that)

*third update*
Completely redone the whole dagger

*fourth update*

brightened it up an bit

Keywords:
Iron dagger, dagger, iron, melee, weapon
Contents

BTNIrondaggerUpdated (Icon)

Reviews
08:24, 20th Sep 2009 zombie2279: Terribly unrealistic, both color scheme, shape and shading-wise. Try to use reference pictures for designing a shape, the handle looks especially unrealistic, I doubt you can even hold a dagger that way. I want to see...

M

08:24, 20th Sep 2009
zombie2279: Terribly unrealistic, both color scheme, shape and shading-wise. Try to use reference pictures for designing a shape, the handle looks especially unrealistic, I doubt you can even hold a dagger that way. I want to see the hilt totally re-designed, the color scheme altered to something more wood-like and accurate and preferably give it more details, like cracks, rust, shading. The blade is somewhat accurate in the color scheme, although the top part is especially distorted and really lacks highlights.

Rejected until updated, but don't update it until you have made really radical improvements.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Hmm. Make the whole sword bigger and stretch it so it goes towards both ends of the icon. Then, take away the white lines and replace with either a white glow around the sword or some sort of effect of your choosing. Furthermore, make the handle more realistic as of the whole sword object.

i still ask you the same question:
would you use this in your own map? if not. dont post it here. and dont give the lame excuse of "im trying to see wat i can do to improve my art" because it says clearly in the rules to save that kind of thing for the 2D art forum.

try looking at some good tuts to learn how to draw correctly.

all the best in your icon training.

~Dentothor

He's just cocky due to the few icons he's made. He seems to think his word is the word of god and that if he says something it must be done. But seriously? Don't just say "that sucks" say "that's pretty good, but here is how to fix it" or something to that effect. You just sound like a dick right now.

On the topic: Nice improvements, looks ALOT better than the two pieces of blade split apart ;D But some shading and detail would make it really good.

Level 24
Do you really want to out yourself?

He's just cocky due to the few icons he's made. He seems to think his word is the word of god and that if he says something it must be done. But seriously? Don't just say "that sucks" say "that's pretty good, but here is how to fix it" or something to that effect. You just sound like a dick right now.

On the topic: Nice improvements, looks ALOT better than the two pieces of blade split apart ;D But some shading and detail would make it really good.

I am not god. I am not crazyrussian (who is close to god in my opinion). i am not kel thuzad nor mr goblin. i am far from being any of them and i do not claim to be one. but i can, as every normal person should, differenciate between good and bad.

for those of you who do not understand it.
'good' means:
-matching blizzard style
-decent quality
-decent painting/drawing skills
-decent and realistic shape
-good highlights and shading

an icon matching those is 'recommended' and if it is of extremely decent quality 'highly recommended'
a 'useful' icon should match at least point 1 and point 4 as well as parts of the other points.
lacking icons are to be improved in the coming future unaccaptable icons are not to be approved.
many of you also do not seem to understand the 'director's cut'. an icon is awarded with dc when it is of outstanding quality and even better than the normal blizzard icons and it has to fit all the points mentioned to a point which isn't met normally.

'bad' means:
-not the things mentioned above

and seriously, if you tell me i am a stupid and ignorant idiot then do that. but i at least know what is a good icon. when you look around at the last few pages then you should recognize that only a few of the icons can reach the 'useful' rating.
those made by darkmoon, by d3ath, the one done by friky, the one from juan ann, by marenko and paladon as well as maybe some of nfwar's icons.
still, all of them are no icons i would actually use in my map. dunno if you would....

so please, people, before you criticize me, get some good arguments which you can base your opinion on.... if something isn't good, i don't say it is good. that's it.

apart from that, it might be right that i should give closer reviews on each icon and to fill your desire here it is:

Let's have a look on your icon.
First, the overall appearance. When looking at it we can see a dagger or something similar to it. You get the feeling that something is missing on this picture. There is too much black as for the badly drawn object could fill it.

To the object itself. I looks really plain and in my opinion much too unrealistic. The filling technique is lacking as well, it seems the dagger consists of many lines (-> unrealistic)
also, the dagger has no real form. its shape is rather crowded, and the texture does fit stone more than iron.

also, the object misses shading (-> makes it plain) but despite to that you use an extreme highlight to define the edge of the knife.

problems gathered:
-shading
-form
-filling technique
-object shape
-too empty

recommendations:
-the handle appears as a single piece of wood at the moment, divide it into handle and guard or remove the guard completely
-add a light source to define the shadows
-give the handle a round shape
-change the iron texture
-try to add shadow between blade and guard
-make it more realistic and try to orientate on blizzard icons

after you made those changes we shall see again
~pala

PS: sorry for the broken english, i'm in a hurry currently
else it makes me sad that the only thing i get for trying to improve the section is anger and hate from people like chief-oblivion

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
Well after your long paragraph which sorry i didn't read it all, it doesn't matter an icon is and icons doesn't need "Blizzard Style" if its good then its aprovable for people to download. Furthermore, there's always a different feel to icons, such as things that shouldn't be there and things that should. Thirdly im not against anyone or anything im just saying this is this guys first icon and he is practicing so give helpful comments and not complain about how bad it is for his first icon.

Also, again this is his first icon, if you want to complain or do talk about how the icon isn't good then choose another person instead of the guy who's just starting :/

Level 24
Palaslayer, you're very very narrow minded. That entire paragraph pretty much said that there is only one way to make icons. How about you quit fucking ragging on new icon makers and improve your own icons. Seriously? You don't HAVE to be a dick. You honestly have no room to be cocky. So how bout you either stop being an asshole and flaming up this icon's forum or just gtfo?

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
To shorten everything up, is that at least hes trying to make a decent icon.. :/ and secondly pala, don't act like some mod or anyone telling people what to do accept for there icon.. which i know your not a mod or anything else but ya anyway i don't get told what to do sorry, furthermore this guy is trying to make a icon here so lets end this stupid discussion, here.. >:/

Level 24
Ok, to end this discussion finally...
Chief-Ovlivion, you can either think about what you are saying and correct yourself or at least stop flaming me or think about the negrep you will get when i report your insults.

He's just cocky due to the few icons he's made. He seems to think his word is the word of god and that if he says something it must be done.

First insult. Thanks. And how many icons did you make again?
And I already said that the 'god'-statement is complete nonsene but you seem not to be able to read.

But seriously? Don't just say "that sucks" say "that's pretty good, but here is how to fix it" or something to that effect. You just sound like a dick right now.

Oh, right, another insult + I told you that you are right with my comments, they weren't pretty helpful, but I changed that and wrote a review...

I am not god. I am not crazyrussian (who is close to god in my opinion). i am not kel thuzad nor mr goblin. i am far from being any of them and i do not claim to be one.

just to clarify this...

Palaslayer, you're very very narrow minded.

You do not have to be narrow minded to filter low quality icons out of high quality icons...

That entire paragraph pretty much said that there is only one way to make icons.

Nope. But it is THE way to make icons. Or just quit making icons for warcraft 3. And it is a fact that some icons are more useful and some are not.

How about you quit fucking ragging on new icon makers and improve your own icons. Seriously? You don't HAVE to be a dick. You honestly have no room to be cocky. So how bout you either stop being an asshole and flaming up this icon's forum or just gtfo?

Some insults. Some lies.
And I do not flame the icon forum, you flame me. That's everything. And if everybody would just blind-approve every icon like you like to then we would drown in a flood of unuseful icons.

Chief-Oblivion; said:
Grow some balls and get the stick out of your ass and I will read the visitor message before deleting it maybe.

And here is your problem. You do not even read my posts. You just ignore them because you think you are better then me? Or is it because you just don't like me?

If you do not look at my answers, then there is no need to continue this, since you can't even prove what you say. + this is another flame and insult.

To shorten everything up, is that at least hes trying to make a decent icon.. :/ and secondly pala, don't act like some mod or anyone telling people what to do accept for there icon.. which i know your not a mod or anything else but ya anyway i don't get told what to do sorry, furthermore this guy is trying to make a icon here so lets end this stupid discussion, here.. >:/

I do not say he isn't trying to and I just told him how to improve even more. And I do not damn 'act like some mod'.... you told me to suggest improvements and I did. So stop complaining.

waiting to see some updates

Level 9
Omg ppl seriously stop with arguments like "ewmewmew its my/his first icon".

That really doesn't matter just a single bit.
And if the icon is of, well let's say not so good quality then get suggestions on the corresponding forum and don't upload this stuff here.

Because all the resource sections are made for finished, good, decent-quality pieces of work, and it is defenately NO feedback forum or smth like this.

Oh and to improve yourself: There's one way: Practice, so good luck at getting better.

Besides, sometimes I really feel sad, that this page has no age requirement, which the behaviour of some people in this thread simply wouldn't match.

Just continue improving it, until it is ready to be approved with a decent rating.

I would suggest to remove the haft or make it look more realistic.