• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNGoblingoggles

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
This is my first icon, made for the Fingolfin's model "Goblin goggles":
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/goblin-goggles-138418/

I have his permission to upload this.

Thanks to Apheraz Lucent for the hints!

History version:
Version 1:
212334-albums8036-picture95839.jpg
Version 2:
212334-albums8036-picture95840.jpg
Version 3:
212334-albums8036-picture95841.jpg
Version 4:
212334-albums8036-picture95842.jpg

Keywords:
goggles, glasses, goblin, gnome, dwarf
Contents

BTNGoblingoggles (Icon)

Reviews
17:06, 19th Mar 2015 Sin'dorei300: Commented. 00:30, 25th Mar 2015 Sin'dorei300: No changes made. Awaiting update.
Level 30
Love the concept as it could be extremely useful.

The angle you've used does no good for the object. If you take a look at it, it's not proportional in terms of width and height, meaning when placed fully centered like you did, a lot of space goes to waste. Now, if you take a look at any other icon that has the same issue, you'll notice several things: people will either make the object go diagonal, so it creates an illusion that fills up the space;
icons_13907_btn.jpg
icons_11621_btn.jpg
icons_6810_btn.jpg
icons_14470_btn.jpg

...or use strong effects, background and render to make it alive and eye-catching:
icons_580_btn.jpg
icons_748_btn.jpg
icons_581_btn.jpg
icons_1409_btn.jpg

...or do both:
icons_2235_btn.jpg
icons_15147_btn.jpg
icons_15612_btn.jpg
icons_2972_btn.jpg

For the icon itself, I find the glass parts a little too much whitened up (always keep in mind that there's no surface which can benefit from light but can't from shadows, one never goes without the other one), and the whole icon is a little lacking in terms of shading. Feel free to use crisp, strong shadow transitions, you can't miss the Warcraft style. The bottom strap, the one that should go around the head, is a little off as it, on the other hand, has shadows but not a light source.

I really hope I haven't intimidated you with this wall of text, but I see you have a lot of potential and I've just wanted to point you out towards a good direction, and supply some reference images :)

Looking forward to your update!

The headband in the current version isn't better than the old one(version 2).
It doesn't looks natural and the shading isn't better than the old one, tho.
Apheraz gave u precious feedback, listen to her advice and the result will be nice.
U could take a look at our 2d art tut section - http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2d-art-tutorials-281/.
Also, u could observe some real life goggle pics/artwork.