• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BTNCombatantArmor

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: Deolrin and xp3r009
This is one of the armors I just painted after taking some art lessons from a friend.

What is this?
An armor.
But not just any armor!
It's a combatant armor!

I had the idea from an armor of my favorite game, R.Y.L. 2 Incomplet Union.

Compare them and tell me the result.

CombatantArmor.jpg
PASCombatantArmor.png

I just shortened it to look more it fits a Villager and removed some stuff that makes it look ancient.

Version 2:
Now it's not-so-gray. Doesn't look like cloud now.
Darkened the upper part of the armor to look more like the original icon.

Version 3:
Less blurry.
Changed some colors.
Re-done some parts of the shade and highlight.

Keywords:
vercas, armor, combatant, combatant armor, chestguard, breatplate, ryl, kartefant, mail, leather, plate, platemail.
Contents

BTNCombatantArmor (Icon)

Reviews
09:11, 12th Jul 2009 zombie2279: The outlines are traced, that does not suit my likes. The icon is mainly a result of fill tooling, then random brushes all over it, but hey. Remove the mess from around the outlines and overall, sharpen the whole...

M

09:11, 12th Jul 2009
zombie2279: The outlines are traced, that does not suit my likes. The icon is mainly a result of fill tooling, then random brushes all over it, but hey. Remove the mess from around the outlines and overall, sharpen the whole icon. Detail the chainmail on the chest so it's actually visible and give the side a more brown-ish, grayish color. Afterwards, detail the highlights to be seen on top and around, it looks like plastic now, not metal. You could also add pieces of detail to it, the more it differs from the original, the better.

9:29, 19th Jul 2009
zombie2279: That, plus what I said in the comments section still stand.

Level 21
The borders are from the original icon, that's it. I suck at borders.
The rest is all paint by me.
And tell me where to shade it even more?

Oh and I'm not using photoshop.

Edit:
wip1.png

wip2.png

wip3.png

wip4.png

wip5.png

wip6.png

Edit2:
The green thing is supposed to be leather.

Last edited:
Level 9
Hmm... I like to see the work you have handed in, however there are a few suggestions on your current image:

- More detail; seems rather basic otherwise. I like how its being shaded however. Needs to be a noticed in some areas. Lining may need to be done and it could sort of be longer if possible, just like the other. I can probably suggest a whole lot more, but its because of its similarity and detail.
- The leather is there, but I would prefer it to be removed however; that's a suggestion, but it depends on the people's taste.
- Its darkness doesn't really bother me. I'm fine with that, could be a dark element armor.

I would rather this 4.25 out of 5 due some lack of detail and that there could be some work done, especially with the leather if you don't want to remove it. Its one of the best icons I have seen from you however, keep improving :D .

Level 9
Sounds like a good idea. Now the armor looks darker, I like it. Rating risen from 4.25 to 4.5. Detail is the only problem I have trouble with, but its better. Might be useful in maps of needing some armor icons ;) .

Level 9
In my map I have an armor that fits this icon perfectly.

I made it for me but i though some other people might find it usefull.

Edit:
Wow! 1 download! :xxd:

Looks nice, should fit perfectly if it follows the 64x64 dimensions format or something like that. Good thing you uploaded it too, might be useful overall.

And the one download, now its risen to 4 downloads :D from today. Looks nice overall ;) .

Level 21
Nice and usefull, hmmm but not perfect^^ but good work!

Nothing and noone is perfect. :razz:

Looks nice, should fit perfectly if it follows the 64x64 dimensions format or something like that. Good thing you uploaded it too, might be useful overall.

And the one download, now its risen to 4 downloads :D from today. Looks nice overall ;) .

Yay! :xxd:
And thanks!

Level 9
Nothing and noone is perfect. :razz:

Yay! :xxd:
And thanks!
No problem. The next 9 - 10 weeks will feel like future when I see your icons again. Bet they are going to be some professional icons, hopefully so ;) .

Anyways, see you later and good luck with the icons. Bet the next day will be 9 downloads, that is usually how the tool's I uploaded work. Good luck overall :D .

Level 35
Well, I don't like the red, change it to gray. I suggest completely removing that chainmail part and redisigning it as a standard-issue chest armor, fitting with the top part by style. Place it 3D, using shading and highlights, then add some decoration.