1. Are you planning to upload your awesome icon to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 8, 2018: The rules for the Icon Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

BTNAxe

Submitted by The Leader
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
"It costs some gold, but it is worth to buy it. A dwarven weapon never dissapoints as being made by a master who knows his deal. "
Contents

BTNAxe (Icon)

Reviews
San
San
As some of us have mentioned before; use darker colors of the object to shade instead of going full pitch-black brushing. Judging from the seemingly random blue taint and some other detail, I assume you did not clean or hide your draft layer in the...
  1. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Idea: Never enough axes, but there's already quite a bit. 4/5
    Overall Look: looks alright, also 4/5
    Detail Quality: I think this is the department that requires the most attention. the wood requires a bit more lighting and the detail on the iron is pretty good but the borders are quite thick, and some of the blending on the cheek require better blending. 3/5
    Background Quality: Though a background is not necessary, if you are going to go with one i think you should commit into making it an aesthetic addition that adds to the overall quality of the icon. I think the background lacks intensity and its crudely defined and needs more work. 2/5

Total: 3/5

Thank you for sharing this resource. I might be able to use it in one of my future projects. I would love to see you refine it a bit more.

2. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I agree with stonneash. The axe lacks detail and texture (and indeed shading comes along with the texture), which makes it look dull. The handle needs volume.

I'm not sure if you already know, but NFwar has epic axe icons. Try to observe their .PSD files shared here. You would pretty much understand everything by just looking (charily) at those, experimenting with them is perfect!

3. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thank you, guys for your replies. Well explained points, I appreciate it. I stated in the description, this is the first icon I draw only in 64x64 size, without making changes related to this in someway.

Well, for the quality sake, I'll try to redo it, but being frankly, I haven't draw icons in a while, so at least, for a period I'll create, maybe, icons that will have a inappropiate aspect like this one. We'll see how things will turn out.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well, I don't think redoing this in 64x64 size would be much of a deal! Just remember what it lacks. I've just done some redrawing/editing over your image in 64x64 size, the outcome looks good enough to me:

[​IMG]

You'd just need to progress with some proper shading, detailing and highlighting.

Keep drawing! Best of luck! :)

Attached Files:

5. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Actually, doing this icon in 64x64 was merely an experiment. Ofc I should'nt have posted such low quality material in the section, but it's too late now. :xxd:

I don't want to overappreciate my skill of creating icons, but I can do better.

Thanks for your work! I'll try to post, soon, an update.

6. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Indeed, I know you can do better. That's why I persist on improving this, coz you can surely make it, and I pretty much love the axe icons! xD

7. Scias

Scias

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There's a issue with sharpness on both the original and PrinceYaser's edit. A way to make the axe look sharper is to break it's edge into 3 different colors (highlight, midtone and shadow) and usually draw it in sharp angles.
    Here's what I mean, quite sloppy since it's a pixel edit done with mouse:
    [​IMG]

I don't think the original axe is bad at all, and I think it was worth posting. It doesn't exactly need any major overhaul, just some polishing and it'll be good to go really. My biggest issue with the original icon is that it's a tad bit too blury, otherwise it's a nice simple axe. And PrinceYaser's edit and input is definitely valueable if you wanna tackle some more difficult designs.

Keep up the good work, and keep practicing! Don't shy away from submitting your artworks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  8. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Have you updated this at all by chance? Will give review once you've updated what was said above.

9. San

San

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    As some of us have mentioned before; use darker colors of the object to shade instead of going full pitch-black brushing.
    Judging from the seemingly random blue taint and some other detail, I assume you did not clean or hide your draft layer in the end of production.
    I personally suggest you to try staying with 256x256px for easier editing in future.
    Awaiting update.

10. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Had some spare time and made an update. It is an entirely new icon.

11. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Can i see a big picture of this since its brand new, then i can do a full review.

12. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Hi, The Panda. I've messed up a little bit and I have not saved in original size, but 64x64... I tried to remake a big pic, but if this is not enough, these days I'll recreate the icon, just like how I want it to be.

BTNAxe2OriginalScale.png

13. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's good enough.

14. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Approved.

15. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I can see some @NFWar inspired technique there.

It could use more depth and color. Good experimentation though :]

16. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thank you very much! Sometimes, a great work can be a good source of inspiration! :psmile: