1. Are you planning to upload your awesome icon to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 8, 2018: The rules for the Icon Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Join Texturing Contest #30 now in a legendary battle of mythological creatures!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

BTNAxe

Submitted by The Leader
This bundle is marked as awaiting update. A staff member has requested changes to it before it can be approved.
First time made entirely an icon in only 64x64 size.

Thought it would be fine to upload this here.
Contents

BTNAxe (Icon)

Reviews
San
San
As some of us have mentioned before; use darker colors of the object to shade instead of going full pitch-black brushing. Judging from the seemingly random blue taint and some other detail, I assume you did not clean or hide your draft layer in the...
  1. stonneash

stonneash

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Idea: Never enough axes, but there's already quite a bit. 4/5
    Overall Look: looks alright, also 4/5
    Detail Quality: I think this is the department that requires the most attention. the wood requires a bit more lighting and the detail on the iron is pretty good but the borders are quite thick, and some of the blending on the cheek require better blending. 3/5
    Background Quality: Though a background is not necessary, if you are going to go with one i think you should commit into making it an aesthetic addition that adds to the overall quality of the icon. I think the background lacks intensity and its crudely defined and needs more work. 2/5

Total: 3/5

Thank you for sharing this resource. I might be able to use it in one of my future projects. I would love to see you refine it a bit more.

2. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I agree with stonneash. The axe lacks detail and texture (and indeed shading comes along with the texture), which makes it look dull. The handle needs volume.

I'm not sure if you already know, but NFwar has epic axe icons. Try to observe their .PSD files shared here. You would pretty much understand everything by just looking (charily) at those, experimenting with them is perfect!

3. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Thank you, guys for your replies. Well explained points, I appreciate it. I stated in the description, this is the first icon I draw only in 64x64 size, without making changes related to this in someway.

Well, for the quality sake, I'll try to redo it, but being frankly, I haven't draw icons in a while, so at least, for a period I'll create, maybe, icons that will have a inappropiate aspect like this one. We'll see how things will turn out.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  4. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Well, I don't think redoing this in 64x64 size would be much of a deal! Just remember what it lacks. I've just done some redrawing/editing over your image in 64x64 size, the outcome looks good enough to me:

[​IMG]

You'd just need to progress with some proper shading, detailing and highlighting.

Keep drawing! Best of luck! :)

Attached Files:

5. The Leader

The Leader

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Actually, doing this icon in 64x64 was merely an experiment. Ofc I should'nt have posted such low quality material in the section, but it's too late now. :xxd:

I don't want to overappreciate my skill of creating icons, but I can do better.

Thanks for your work! I'll try to post, soon, an update.

6. PrinceYaser

PrinceYaser

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Indeed, I know you can do better. That's why I persist on improving this, coz you can surely make it, and I pretty much love the axe icons! xD

7. Scias

Scias

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    There's a issue with sharpness on both the original and PrinceYaser's edit. A way to make the axe look sharper is to break it's edge into 3 different colors (highlight, midtone and shadow) and usually draw it in sharp angles.
    Here's what I mean, quite sloppy since it's a pixel edit done with mouse:
    [​IMG]

I don't think the original axe is bad at all, and I think it was worth posting. It doesn't exactly need any major overhaul, just some polishing and it'll be good to go really. My biggest issue with the original icon is that it's a tad bit too blury, otherwise it's a nice simple axe. And PrinceYaser's edit and input is definitely valueable if you wanna tackle some more difficult designs.

Keep up the good work, and keep practicing! Don't shy away from submitting your artworks!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  8. The Panda

The Panda

Icon Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Have you updated this at all by chance? Will give review once you've updated what was said above.

9. San

San

Icon Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    As some of us have mentioned before; use darker colors of the object to shade instead of going full pitch-black brushing.
    Judging from the seemingly random blue taint and some other detail, I assume you did not clean or hide your draft layer in the end of production.
    I personally suggest you to try staying with 256x256px for easier editing in future.
    Awaiting update.