• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blade Apprentice

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
I figured after all these years I should also contribute to this website.

This is my very first selfmade model, made with Retera's Model Studio!
I needed a human blade wielding model that is not clad in armour and equipped with all sorts of shenanigans.
Thus I frankensteined this model, and allowed myself to give it a massive blade, because big blade :infl_thumbs_up:.
It's a combination of the Bloodelf Worker, with Arthas head and a shrunken Blademaster weapon.

Known Issues:
The height of the model is, compared to a Paladin, relatively small. I'd suggest a scaling modifier of 1.33.

Changelog:
1.1.: Worked out the hand clipping through the sword in the walking animation (thanks to Sirbancal).
Also changed the head size and moved the hair around so it wouldn't clip through the scarf anymore.
Changed the sword size a tiny bit so it looks a teensy bit more natural.
Contents

Blade Apprentice (Model)

Level 7
Man, I love the idea. It looks kinda awesome. I'm just a bit confuse with the size of the sword héhé, I would see it a bit smaller (for an apprentice) or more elfish. Also, maybe the head is a bit small compared to the red of the body ? At least, Im talking while I never made a model in my life, so I dunno what is possible, but here is my friendly opinion :peasant-ok-hand::peasant-ok-hand: Keep going, Im glad to see your new name into the reforged models!

Level 5
Man, I love the idea. It looks kinda awesome. I'm just a bit confuse with the size of the sword héhé, I would see it a bit smaller (for an apprentice) or more elfish. Also, maybe the head is a bit small compared to the red of the body ? At least, Im talking while I never made a model in my life, so I dunno what is possible, but here is my friendly opinion :peasant-ok-hand::peasant-ok-hand: Keep going, Im glad to see your new name into the reforged models!
Thanks you so much for your feedback! I took the hand as a scale reference for the head and when I scaled up the head it looked like he was very top heavy :xxd: I'll see if I can resize it a little bit, though. As for the sword, if it were smaller, the handle would float in the model's hands when it's swinging it around and not wrapping it's fingers around it anymore. Also big swords are cooler than smaller swords. I could however add a second model with a smaller sword?

Nice work ! Did you edit each attack animation of the peasant to fit with this giant blade ?
For the walk, try to apply a light rotation to the weapon during the walk, just enough to dodge the hand.
Also thank you a lot! I in fact did not do any animation changes as after trying for a good chunk of the night I gave up figuring out how to change singular animations. Instead I made the Weapon bone of the peasant a parent of the bone of the sword and the rescaled and rotated it to fit with all the animations. But that's also why I couldn't fix the Walk animation problem yet as the Weapon bone goes to the back of the model in the Walk animation and I'd have to figure out how to change the sword's rotation in that particular animation in isolation, otherwise the rotation would be applied to all animations :xxd: I'll tinker around some more and see if I can figure this out.

Level 6
Also thank you a lot! I in fact did not do any animation changes as after trying for a good chunk of the night I gave up figuring out how to change singular animations. Instead I made the Weapon bone of the peasant a parent of the bone of the sword and the rescaled and rotated it to fit with all the animations. But that's also why I couldn't fix the Walk animation problem yet as the Weapon bone goes to the back of the model in the Walk animation and I'd have to figure out how to change the sword's rotation in that particular animation in isolation, otherwise the rotation would be applied to all animations :xxd: I'll tinker around some more and see if I can figure this out.
In Retera you can go to select nodes and animate ( a orange ball like lunch ) choose your walk animation, click on "All KF" to display all the keyframe for this animation. Now for each little green mark, you have the position that the model must have at this frame. ( advice use left and right arrow to navigate easly between the frames ) . Select your weapon node and select the rotate mode, then you can do magic ;) .