• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black Widow.blp

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
An assassin in black leather, mostly inspired by an old school project of mine. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Keywords:
Assassin, Black Woman, Female, Warden, Iron Raven
Contents

Black Widow.blp (Texture)

Reviews
18:24, 16th Sep 2009 67chrome: The skins section is really meant for completed projects rather than works-in-progress, so for the time being this is getting disproved. Your screenshots for your updated version look pretty promising, once you update...

M

18:24, 16th Sep 2009
67chrome: The skins section is really meant for completed projects rather than works-in-progress, so for the time being this is getting disproved. Your screenshots for your updated version look pretty promising, once you update this skin (via the update button) I'll check to see if it is complete enough to approve it, I like the direction you're going with it so far.

Level 38
Seems like a decent amount of freehand, though large parts of the armor seem to fallow the same shape as the original armor. I like what you did with the chest triangle, most of the torso seems relatively well done as well.

The strings attached to her underwear don't make sense to me, they should look like they wrap around her leg rather than attach to her crotch. The way it currently is now wraps funny on the model to.

If she is supposed to be a black widow were do the blue runes come in? Shouldn't they be red? I was under the impression black widows were black and red, not black and blue. Right now she reminds me of my frost themed death knight skin.

Their is no hero glow on your screenshot, I'm assuming you took the screenshots in WC3 model viewer. You should mention that this skin will not remove the hero glow.

Anyways, her armor doesn't look much like leather to me, you should google search leather to give you an idea of how to make this skin look as though it has leather elements, looking at something and trying to draw it will offer a much closer desired result to making it up. the torso, face, and runes also seem to be the only things that really differ to much from the original skin, most of the armor seems to be just recolored black, even the blades on her weapon seem to be recolored as well. This skin could be improved to make your free handed portions more accurate, and the recolored portions freehand.

Level 6
Thanks a lot people for the feedback.
@Piwlady:I'm studying in 3d animation and the project was to design a were-creature. Mine was a cannibal black woman who morphed in a were-moray eel. So since there are no indigen models, I changed her into an assassin.
@67chrome:
Seems like a decent amount of freehand, though large parts of the armor seem to fallow the same shape as the original armor. I like what you did with the chest triangle, most of the torso seems relatively well done as well.
Yeah I know some parts lack inspiration, if I have more time in the future I'd gladly change them, especially the boots which I'm not really satisfied with.
The strings attached to her underwear don't make sense to me, they should look like they wrap around her leg rather than attach to her crotch. The way it currently is now wraps funny on the model to.
Now that you mention it, the strings do look odd hehe, I'll change that as soon as possible.
If she is supposed to be a black widow were do the blue runes come in? Shouldn't they be red? I was under the impression black widows were black and red, not black and blue. Right now she reminds me of my frost themed death knight skin.
Hmm yeah the name is just for the sake of sounding badass, it was originally called Black Chick Assassin. If it really bother you, I'll change it. As for the runes being blue, it's because of her eyes. I might try a red version to see how it looks.
Anyways, her armor doesn't look much like leather to me, you should google search leather to give you an idea of how to make this skin look as though it has leather elements, looking at something and trying to draw it will offer a much closer desired result to making it up. the torso, face, and runes also seem to be the only things that really differ to much from the original skin, most of the armor seems to be just recolored black, even the blades on her weapon seem to be recolored as well. This skin could be improved to make your free handed portions more accurate, and the recolored portions freehand.
Normally I would have used a custom brush for the leather effect but the texture size is so small it ends up looking blurry. But yeah guess I'll have to look for more leather texture references.

*Just to show that even the lazy recolor parts were still handmade, here's the 3 major steps I did for the skin:
-basic colors
-shading
-textures/details

Attachments

• Step_01.jpg
    Step_01.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Step_02.jpg
    Step_02.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Step_03.jpg
    Step_03.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 120
the skin needs more highlights, even though it's a let's say black woman, she still needs higlights. and the whole skin looks kinda messy, Thing that Chrome maybe forgot to point out.

EDIT: and the face looks like an alien :S

EDIT2: And give a screenie with the skin on a light background. the dark background in the pic just adds to the -rating...

Level 38
Skins don't need to be particularly clear, most of the time the size of the skin only really aids in making curves look more like curves, even from a cinematic this skin isn't blurry enough to really bother me or really show. Perhaps the chest is a little blurrier than it should be, but my major concern is what I mentioned above. As for the face looking creepy, most of it is covered by the helmet and looks mildly creepy on the original skin as well, As long as it looks decent on the wrap it's fine by me.

As for blue runes, I think blue is about the least cannibalistic color out there. Blue and purple paint are, or at least were incredibly expensive to create. Normally all the tribal paint I have seen is very earthen colors, such as white, brown, red, yellow, black, and even green. Considering you mentioned that your original idea was a were-eel sort of thing (?) maybe the change to a sea green or teal would be more appropriate.

Level 6
Here's a small WIP of the next version. I still have problems with the shading on the boots as well as the leather feeling I have to give to the texture but I'll try to finish it as soon as possible.

Attachments

• Assassin2_WIP.jpg
    Assassin2_WIP.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 72