• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Big FFA Lover to report

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Well, Well, time to introduce myself to the community,

I started to Play wc3 on illegal Beta servers, I forgot how it came to my attention,
I think i heard about it om a game-site numerous times. I torrent the game, installed it,
edit some files to play on some illegal host,

So I was playing warcraft 3 on illegal beta and i loved to play 6 vs 6 (especially on Divide and Conquer or 4 vs 4 on big maps),
good learning curve for me to handle the game,
I remember i was not able to group my armies back then, :ah: But i was doing decent!

Then I saw the map Divide and Conquer with the description FFA 12 Players. I did not knew what i was getting into,
but I joined the game, Set myself to a individual player after Being Yelled at :ain:
Noticed i was going to be all on my own against 11 Bullies.

So game loaded and noticed the mini-map was very dark and I was all by myself, I did not got beat as first (turtling FTW)
but i was out soon nonetheless, after my defeat I joined observer mode and Finished watched the whole
game through, chatted with the other observers.

I saw and learned how other people played, asked questions about grouping your army etc.
Learned new tactics and improved myself each time when I played a FFA game,
Being a good observer and watching replays when people beat you!

Then i met one day in one of my Big FFA i played a person called MarnThunderC0ck!!!
He was for sure cocky and a badmouth, But he knew how to wield his brain and keyboard,
when i was playing in his FFA, he won more then 2 out 3 matches,
I added him as buddies and we used to play often the same game from then on,

I think i played more then 100 games with him and I was able to beat him 1 out 5 games.
Had a blast of a great time back then! Beta ended and I bought myself a copy of WC3 and started to play lag free games,
organized as much as possible big FFA on Northrend and Played FFA Ladder, i managed to the top 50,
but I was much better player in the bigger versions of the gametype.

by the way, Did there not used to be in the old days more persons added on the FFA Ladder?
I thought even 5 up to 6 people? it depended on queue timer I believe, but my memory might play tricks on me. :alol:
Maybe someone here can Remember this actually.

I used to play this game until World of Warcraft got Released, at start of world of Warcraft
was very deceptive to me, I bought it blind on release day. :ar: I was under the impression
it was a RTS MMO based style, I was going to be an individual tactical person in like a 100+ vs 100+ war(zone)

so I leveled my rogue up to 60 after i ditched my shaman at level 22 orso,
now I played WOW full-time till the end of the Wrath of the Lich King expension, kicked Lich king ass and got a bit bored of the game
cause there was no new content to conquer, So I played a bit Big FFA again on Wc3 and decided to make my own map, with no experience at all! :alol:

So I started in May 2010 and started to fool around a bit, made some sketches, started something like this:

I soon realized that this basic design was a monster to balance, it seemed impossible to balance this properly without using teleports and becoming awkward.

Realizing many problems with this design, I went for the Pizza slices design (well that is how i like to call it ha ha)

and this is how it looked after 3 days hard work and trying to understand the World editor

This is how it looked after one week spending like 5 hours a day on it

then after 2 weeks it looked like this,

then I realized huge gaming/spacing problems with using too much cliffing in the terrain, restarted the map from scratch as show below

4 days later, with my previous experience things go pretty smooth

Then I'm getting the idea of making a city in the center of the map

and start shaping up the city up !

1. 2.

3. 4.

Map is for about 60% done and here final 2 screenshots

5. 6.

I am 31 year old Male, Born and raised in Holland, Living in Turkey at the moment, Gamer at heart

Games I love:
Bayonetta (what a great fighting system!)
Zelda en mario games, Supermetroid, megaman
Uncharted series, Batman on ps3
WOW and wc3

Although i have not searched that hardcore yet with my problems, but the things I would love to get help with is following:
1. My biggest problem is that my map is NOT melee (and it has to be, what do i need to look into to undo this or where to edit it)
2. How to make certain areas not able to go
3. How to edit mercenary camp to make to fill it up with more exotic helpers
4. I need eventually some map testers and suggestions for my map!

I am really striving to make this map worthwhile and competitive

Oww my name is Rene and I like also ponies, avatar and Game of thrones!
I was a proud owner of a console, Nintendo, Super-Nintendo and a N64 owned games such as, Zelda, Mario, Final fantasy, Mario-kart and Streetfighter.

PS Got a question to the mods, for how long can I edit this post? Like forever or just like 24 hrs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.