• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Backbite v1.0

This bundle is marked as awaiting update. A staff member has requested changes to it before it can be approved.
Here's my first custom spell that i'd like to upload to THW.
An idea of this ability was inspired by the Stealth Assassin's third ability "Backstab" in DotA.
The original one is it dealt damage based on Agility points when attacking from behind.

I wanna thank to gref and popo80000 for trigger template. Thank to Weep for GUI Friendly Damage Detection (GDD). it's helpful for checking damage. Thank to WhiteDeath for awesome model.

Here is my passive ability ability works:
Deals bonus damage to an enemy, whenever attacking from behind.
Level 1 - 150% of attack damage.
Level 2 - 200% of attack damage.
Level 3 - 250% of attack damage.

It also works with life steal, cleaving attack and many kinds of damage bonus.
Contents

Backbite v1.0 (Map)

Reviews
Tank-Commander
Thanks for the submission to the spell section. The spell is, as other people have noted very simple but there's a few things that need to be sorted out before the issue of complexity can really be risen: - GDD is never used in the spell (as a...
Level 12
  1. Your description is only useful for people who have played DOTA. Someone who knows little about DOTA or hasn't played it will have no idea what your spell is supposed to do.
  2. You also provide no import instructions. You included GDD in your map. Is that a requirement or is it just used for testing?
  3. It also appears your spell has little to no configuration, which makes it much less useful, since people will not be easily able to tune it to their needs.

You really need to work on these points before your spell is approvable.

Level 1
  1. Your description is only useful for people who have played DOTA. Someone who knows little about DOTA or hasn't played it will have no idea what your spell is supposed to do.
  2. You also provide no import instructions. You included GDD in your map. Is that a requirement or is it just used for testing?
  3. It also appears your spell has little to no configuration, which makes it much less useful, since people will not be easily able to tune it to their needs.
You really need to work on these points before your spell is approvable.

Thank to your review and comment. It make me know what i should fix.
I know i still have a lot of things to learn to do it properly and I also have a ton of idea i wannn share with THW community.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

Wasn't it called "Backstab" ? The Stealth Assassin's third ability is "Backstab" not "Backstep". Also, it dealt damage based on his Agility points when attacking from behind. Not trying to be rude, don't get me wrong, but the moderators have seen this stuff before and an approval might require some more advanced add-ons for this spell. :)

Level 1
Wasn't it called "Backstab" ? The Stealth Assassin's third ability is "Backstab" not "Backstep". Also, it dealt damage based on his Agility points when attacking from behind. Not trying to be rude, don't get me wrong, but the moderators have seen this stuff before and an approval might require some more advanced add-ons for this spell. :)

Yeah, You're right. I miss pronounce it. I'll fix it. Thank.:)
However i don't like the idea of to dealt damage based on Agility. That's why i make my Backbite base on attack damage. and you're also right this is a simple ability, but i like how simple it is. I actually have many idea to improve this spell, but it'will be too complicated. I think it more useful and it can apply widely with this simple. If anyone doesn't like it, they can just modify it.
Since you think it's simple, I also wanna know how're you gonna modify it as well. I'd like to see your idea. :)
Thank to your comment.
I hope to see your comment on my next custom ability.

Last edited:
Thanks for the submission to the spell section. The spell is, as other people have noted very simple but there's a few things that need to be sorted out before the issue of complexity can really be risen:

- GDD is never used in the spell (as a consequence the purpose of GDD to fix the "unit is attacked" issue is unsolved in this spell and therefore is exploitable, although in this case it just runs the checking code a lot)
- There's lack of a configuration, this should including things like the animation speeds, special effects and as much damage related data as possible, the required angles themselves could also be considered as something that should be configurable
- The spell bugs if there are any units with the spell pre-learnt
- The spellbook ability should just be disabled for all players all the time (this could be done when a configuration trigger runs) and not bother being done every time the skill is learnt for a particular player's unit
- Give the hero a tome of retraining after it had triggered the ability, it will now always get the backbite trigger from whatever was the last level it had before it used to the tome
- The abilities are capped at 4 as a consequence of how you're nulling damage, while this reflects ingame spells it doesn't do a great job for configurability
- There's a lack of importing instructions and documentation
- Your folder for the spell should not also contain testing triggers - people want to be able to easily import just the parts they need and as it stands importing the folder will report errors
- Setting animation by index is all well and good if only one unit can have the ability, but it starts messing things up when you consider two different types of unit could both have the ability in a given map