• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Attack Types Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
In my map I have 6 types of magic (Lightning, Fire, Water, Nature, Holy, Shadow)

I want to have an attack and defence type for each but also for physical. for physical attack I used chaos and for physical defence I have used unarmoured.

My objective is to have each attack type do extra damage vs 1 armour type and reduced damage vs another armour type but normal damage to physical defence and the other 4 magic defences.

I have been able to implement all the defence types but I'm having trouble finding enough attack types and they also have different names in different areas of the editor (Object editor, gameplay interface, gameplay constants) so I set out to determine which corresponds to which.

Object editor ------ game interface ---- gameplay constants
none --------------- chaos ------------ chaos
normal -------------- hero -------------- ethereal
piercing ------------- magic ------------- hero
siege - -------------- melee ------------ magic
spells--------------- normal ----------- normal
chaos --------------- piercing ----------- piercing
magic --------------- siege -------------- siege
hero ----------------- unknown --------- spells

So through some trial and error I found that "Normal" in the object editor corresponds to "melee" in the game interface section.... this kind of puzzles me because there is a "normal" type in the game interface section and I don't know what it's for.

How I found this was I applied object editor types: "none", "normal" and "spells" to units 1, 2 and 3. I gave the game interface types "melee", "normal" and "unknown" different icons (icon1 icon2 and icon3). The units with the attack types "none" and "spells" in the object editor both had the icon I assigned to "normal" in the game interface..... weird right? I was also surprised that the normal attack type in the object editor had the icon I gave to "melee" in the game interface.

After all of that we come to my question: Is anyone able to explain the purple attack types to me? how do they correspond to each other? is it possible to have up to 7 different attack types?

I think i've linked up Spells - unknown - spells. It seems that they correspond with each other so it seems to have solved my problem but I'm still concerned about the weirdness I found earlier. Additionally, will this have any effect on spellcasting?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 20
Element TD has Water, Earth, Fire, Nature, Light, Darkness, and Composite attack types and armors... So, you should be able to have at least 7 attack types, with 7 armors.

Level 8
afaik
in Gameplay Constants:
Ethereal are units that can only be hit by Magic or Spells. the Ethereal in the Gameplay Constants corresponds to units that have the buff. it can't be set as an armor or attack type.
Spells are damage type that are taken from abilities (not all triggered abilities deal Spells damage type, but all basic, non-triggered abilities deal Spells damage type)

in Object Editor:
Spells attack type will deal the same damage as Spells in the Gameplay Constants

btw, i haven't found the melee in Game Interface. and the reason why None and Spells have the Normal interface is probably because they are not supposed to be in the interface. Spells are used particularly for spells and abilities, while using None is supposed to cause the unit to not have an attack. (set attack type to None, you'll probably first think that the unit will have no attack type, right?)

if you want to change how the attack types corresponds to the armor types, here's what the different values in the Gameplay Constants corresponds to:
e.g. Combat - Damage Bonus Table - Chaos A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H
A - Small
B - Medium
C - Large
D - Fortified
E - Normal
F - Hero
G - Divine
H - Unarmored

Last edited:
Level 7
Ah OK that clears up alot.

I already knew how to manipulate gameplasy constants and I actually have it all in place and working with custom icons and everything.

I must thank you though because you have brough to light an Issue. Currently I am using spell damage as holy which means that this will apply different damage to different armour for all abilities. If I change Spell damage to my physical damage(100% to all armour types) instead of holy damage (extra damage to shadow armour and reduced damage to fire armour) then It won't affect the gameplay seeing as it will be 100% to everything anyway. Thanks so much for your input!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.