• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Animation]Unit - Weapon[Question]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I've animated my model so far "stand - 1", i am stuck now..
How are the weapons related to the models and their animations, and how are they attached to the model when performing animation.

Im using 3ds max, i've imported custom weapon for the model now im lost.

i created some "attachment points" on the hands so the weapon sits on them when animating, but when i export the model the weapon isnt moving at all.

Level 4
Anyone?

I can't start animating my model without the weapon..
I've done the animating tutorial several times while waiting for answers here.
Its pretty simple when animating model without weapon.

There is nothing about attaching weapons in that tutorial and animating the same.

I tried to find it my self how it works, from checking out warcraft 3 model editor, and how the bone structure is made, there are couple attachments made on the hands, but i cant find out how the weapon is attached on them.

Again:
I am using 3DS MAX, i have completed the bone structure.
How do i attach the weapon? by using point attachments on the hands, and bone for the weapon?

Level 11
Attachment points have no relevance inside 3ds max. They are just additional meshes. While exporting to mdx/mdl they are converted to the known attachment points the game can work with. They are used by wc3 itself to attach sfx on a model.

Attachments will alsways play their set of stand animations. You can't play a specific like you are with with units/doodads/destrus.

Only way is to link the weapon attachment point to the bone structur. After that you can animate the bone, to move/rotate/scale/hide the attachment.

So if you want to have your model always use the desired weapon, simply add it directly to the mesh inside 3ds and link it to the bone structure. No need to attach it later in game.

First, don't double post with less than 48 hour difference... next don't get impatient... its normal that threads go silent for days...

Just link the bone (that is linked to the hand that will use the weapon probably), to the weapon mesh, and place the weapon mesh in the right place, after that, any changes to the bone will be applied to the weapon as well...

Now if you want the model not to have an initial weapon, just open the model on Magos afterwards and add a hand attachment point to the bone linked to the hand... then just add a weapon using the WE...

Status
Not open for further replies.