• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

An Easier Way to export files from War3patch.mpq [Reviewed: Ghan]

Level 49
Difficulty

Piece-O-Cake: 1/10
Tools Needed

-Magos Model Editor
-The latest version of Warcraft III

Welcome to the War3patch exporting tutorial!

Follow the steps as they appear:

Intro:

This tutorial is basically for people that want to edit the patch models, like the Tinker, Alchemist, Fire Lord, etc. But, curious people may read that, to.

The Model Editor:

Note-If you already know how to use the Magos Model Editor, skip this step.

So, you have opened the editor, and you see just a blank screen and the basic menus(File, Edit, View, Help, Etc.). We wont get deep to it, because we need only one tool:the MPQ Browser. The MPQ Browser is under he menu Windows-the last one. there are also other tools and such stuff in the model editor-but we don't need them right now. in the MPQ Browser, chose File and then War3Patch.mpq.You should see a lot of folders and some weird files. thats where everything starts...

MPQ Browsing:

MPQ Browsing is easy, but could be a bit confusing at some points. We will now open War3Patch.mpq file in the MPQ Browser. the MPQ is made of categories, that are basically: Units, Buildings, Textures, Replaceable Textures, Abilities and Doodads. Of Course, there are more, but those are the main categories. Every categorie is split into more sub-categories, which usually split into more sub-categories, etc... for example, we will export the Clockwerk Goblin from the mpq. Don't worry,the little bot will stay in the MPQ, but you will be able to edit it.

Exporting Files:

Now comes the easy part. as i said, open war3patch.mpq in the MPQ Browser.
Now, open the categorie ''Units'', then go to sub-categorie ''Creeps'', and then
''Hero Tinker Robot''. you will see some files, mostly ''.wav'', but also one mdx. double click on the mdx file and you will see it in the View Screen. now, right click on it, and chose ''Export''. save it as you want, but remember to make the type of the file to mdx. example: instead of saving it as ''GoblinRobot'', save it as ''GoblinRobot.mdx''. now we done!

Hope you get use from this tutorial! Oh, almost forgot: that tutorial is complete, but i can edit it if people will want that i will do it it.

Last edited:
Level 22
Allow me to be blunt - This is not a tutorial.

In all seriousness, all you have here is a series of a few steps to achieve one simple goal. This doesn't really teach the person anything such as a way to solve problems or how to better develop maps.

This would probably be better represented as a Tip or something of the sort.

That's not to say the information is bad, just that it doesn't fit here in this format.