• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] AI Blocking Units Around Gold Mine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys.

Was just wondering if anyone had an idea as to how to solve an issue where the computer AI will block their own attack wave units because so many clump around the area between the goldmine + the main building that many units cannot get out and are trapped inside.

I myself have come across three solutions, but all of them have huge disadvantages so was wondering if there was other ways to get around the issue.

A)Not having diverse attack waves, so the all the units attack during an assault, so there cannot be any units to block other units.

Disadvantage: It is boring to fight computers that only have 1 attack wave.

B)Have 1 wave ground units and 1 wave air units, so there is no blockage.

Disadvantage: Huge chance of imbalance, hard to do unless there are enough air units unlocked at the point of progress of the map *related to campaigns*.

C) Set collision of all units to a peasant size so it is hard to have blockage.

Disadvantage: They units almost meld into 1 unit, and you cannot see the different units. This is a really bad solution.

The solution I am currently using is to preplace units around the base so they will not all clump around the area between goldmine + main base.

But the issue I have had here is that the units do not respond to attacks on their base unless there is a fight literally right next to them. So if you have units preplaced at one entrance to the base, they will never defend the base if there is an attack on the other entrance.

Was wondering if anyone had ideas regarding the blockage, or the problem with preplaced units.

Below is an example of a base with many preplaced units. The ones to the left/middle are meant to relieve the pressure of huge blockage around area between the goldmine/main base (right side of map) But preplaced unit will never engage in defending the base unless the fight is literally right next to them. And when preplaced units die, they of course are rebuilt and another unit goes to that preplaced area and does the exact same thing (Heroes are exceptions if they are in the attack wave).

upload_2018-11-17_20-47-26.png

Status
Not open for further replies.