• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

WonderWorld

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: stan0033
Here is my first melee map. I know creeps drop a lot of items and it's a bit random but that's what I wanted.

Map Description :

A 12 players funny melee map with a lot of ressources. This map is a world apart where there is no logic and where you can see some fairy creatures. There are a lot of gold mines for your expansions and ancients drop lumber, so no need to deforest the map ! The creeps drop a lot of related fairy items, which you can use or sell to the shops, and items to empower more and more your heroes. Defeat the dragon in the center of the map to obtain great additionnal rewards. You can use the fountains of health in your base to restore the life of your units or you can use the fountain of health on enemy mountains to heal your air units when you attack them.

Features :
  • 12 players
  • 36 gold mines (30 000 gold for starting gold mines / 15 000 gold for other gold mines)
  • 4 taverns
  • 12 portals
  • 4 marketplaces
  • 8 fountains of health
  • 6 fountains of mana
  • 1 blue dragon roost
  • 20 green camps
  • 16 orange camps
  • 25-37 red camps
Changelogs :

[12/31/2017] Added more trees and reduced the amount of gold in the starting gold mines to 30000. Corrected some bridge placements.
Contents

WonderWorld (Map)

Reviews
17:17, 18th Feb 2016 Remixer: I'm not really sure what I should say. I get this idea that you tried to create something epic but in my opinion you failed. I liked how you used Faerie dragons in quite an unique way and that you mixed snow with grass...

M

17:17, 18th Feb 2016
Remixer: I'm not really sure what I should say. I get this idea that you tried to create something epic but in my opinion you failed. I liked how you used Faerie dragons in quite an unique way and that you mixed snow with grass (though the show should still be on top of grass, not the other way around) but there's just too much going on the map.

Firstly, if I just stick to the terrain. Like I said the placement/visual order of the tiles needs to be fixed. I have no idea why you set snow beneath everything. Secondly the map is really generic: grass with really very little uniqueness (apart from the middle, I come to that later). The most important part of a terrain is either 1. be functional or 2. be unique or just pure beauty. In this case it's neither.

If you do something that really pops up (like the grass+snow or crystals on grass or invisible bridges) do it well. Currently it looks like an endless smash-up that hints towards the point that makes me think you ran out of ideas or just don't know how to execute them.
There's some areas like the water that has absolutely no height variation yet again at some points you went for the extreme.

Terrain isn't very functional either: the map really forces players to gather up HUGE armies, because of having practically infinite gold and having those gold mines very weakly guarded. Creeps dropping instant lumber also speeds this progress up. Yet - it is not very functional in this map: there's waygates that only work well with small armies, just like bridges. Sadly those are the only two ways to move around the map.

Sure, it might work pretty well if you could attack all the time with a little armies, but it's just not possible while having just insanely strong creep camps guarding all the paths literally everywhere. Just to go from a corner to another takes you through two creep camps that's combined levels are 32. The fact that you'd have to face 3 enemies at the same time does not make this task any easier - vice-verse in fact, there's no point to attack unless you can crush the entire enemy team.

So the terrain is not very practical in any way in my eyes: it's not very pleasing to look at and the functionality - I just don't find it.

The creeps are a big problem in the map. I encourage people to try out new things but I think you went just too far. The creep's placement really shuts down a lot of potential from this map and the fact that half of the creeps are something not meant to be creeps really reduces the will to attack them.

Meanwhile some of the creeps are really rewarding the other's are just pure waste of time. Why would any one attack the border's fountain of life, guarded by the elementals while they already have one in the middle of their base? And how is it even possible? There's not a single goblin laboratory so how is the army supposed to go there?

Meanwhile the creeps guarding the gold mines are just over rewarding: not only do the players get 5 gold mines that grant infinite gold additionally they get just insane amount of items.

The amount of item drops is also a bit problematic. You placed exact drops to the creeps. What's the idea behind this? It reduces the replayability of the map. Also in the end players end up with 20 items on the ground which they cannot pick up for they already have inventories full of "mechanical critters" (why on earth did you set those)?

You really need to study the basics of item drops - they just do not work in this map. Every now and there hero loots an ankh of reincarnation - for nothing - the map supports huge armies and the heroe's role is less then, on the other hand focusing heroes carrying ankhs and huge supply of potions is rather stupid.

The middle area... just wow. It is very unfunctional, unnecessary and just odd. Sure it's unique but it just does not work. Check this image. How? I mean just how are players supposed to see that way gate and enter it? Not to mention the fact that the creeps already attack them as they enter the waygate. The middle is also insanely hard - it's too small for large armies to enter yet you need at least three of them to beat that all down - for very little reward - you could have just fine skip that creep camp and fight with the enemies, instead of wasting 3 armies to get something, that you already had from previous creep camps.

The map is just very messy and I cannot see much potential in it so I have to score it unacceptable and set it to Awaiting Update.

You really need to re-think everything in the map. Think if something is required and what is not. What is not like it is supposed to be?

There's also a lot of little things that require fixing:
1. Ramps are really sharp and odd looking, fix them.
2. Water walls come out of cliffs, why is this?
3. The decoration with doodads is really neglected: some areas are just filled with bunched-up detail (=not detail) meanwhile others are just plain empty.
4. The corner players' bases are really small.
5. The expansion areas give no expansion really, they're filled with trees.
6. The map lacks strategical points and paths.
7. Some doodads are very awkwardly placed, half of them floating in the air.
8. Some ground/water placement and structure is out of mind. (A thin cliff does not just separate lower area and upper area, filled with water.)

And so on. It's not about the amount of players or the size of the map - it's about the quality.

1. Dude the mount in the middle is extremely small. How are armies supposed to fit there and fight? Too steep, overpopulated and the blue fire makes even more chaos.
2. Why the side lakes cannot be reached by foot? Yet there is a fountain with low-level creeps. If it's going to be unreachable by foot at least put mroe powerful creeps.
3. Aren't the creep camps with starting locations too powerful(2x level 8 elemental) and too close to each other?

Last edited:
Level 5
1. Dude the mount in the middle is extremely small. How are armies supposed to fit there and fight? Too steep, overpopulated and the blue fire makes even more chaos.
2. Why the side lakes cannot be reached by foot? Yet there is a fountain with low-level creeps. If it's going to be unreachable by foot at least put mroe powerful creeps.
3. Aren't the creep camps with starting locations too powerful(2x level 8 elemental) and too close to each other?

The middle area is not supposed to be easy to kill and you are not supposed to go kill it alone. Plus you can use air units.
For the lakes/fountains, read the description : it's for air units.
The red camps at starting locations will not attack you all at the same time. If you play 3v3, you will not spawn near a red camp. As you spawn near 2 others allies, you can creep with them, so 3 players vs those red camps is not that hard.

Edit : And if you use magic immune units and anti-air units, the middle area is nearly free.

Last edited: